Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All,

I’d like to instal an alternate type of switch for the headlight dimmer rather than the foot button. This is mainly because the existing one is hosed and I don’t want to put any more holes in the floorpan.

I’d like to know what other folks have used and where they installed it.

Thanks!

·
Registered
37,688 Posts
You can swap in a Flaming River or iDidit steering column with a GM-style multi-function switch (turn signal/wiper/dimmer).

Option #2 is a dash-mounted DPST toggle switch with a long arm so you don't have to reach for it.

Option #3 is a relay operated SPST push button mounted to the shift knob or lever.

·
Registered
9,041 Posts
Why re-invent the wheel...?? Just get a replacement switch and put back the Original type switch... Measure, Drill two holes and put some sealant on the holes as you drive the Hex screws through.. ..simple... Doing what you want is unnecessary...IMHO...

:eek:)

Tony K.

·
Premium Member
6,096 Posts
Floor-mounted dimmer is part of the cool-factor of an old car IMHO. Part of the Glory Days. Have one on the floor of Daddy's 77 truck, the 73 and 75 Scouts, too.

Reactions: ophthos

·
Registered
6,349 Posts
might as well move the shifter from the floor to the column while you're at it.......

my point- floor switches are cheap, plug and play, and work fine- no need to spend hours and $ on something that might not...

·
7,065 Posts
Floor-mounted dimmer is part of the cool-factor of an old car IMHO. Part of the Glory Days. Have one on the floor of Daddy's 77 truck, the 73 and 75 Scouts, too.
I tend to agree with this.

I never did understand the move of the dimmer switch from the floor to the column. Floor > Column.

Phil

·
Registered
310 Posts
For nostalgia, the Chrysler Imperial had two foot switches, one for high beams, another to change the radio stations

·
Registered
2,186 Posts
It's all fine until the dimmer switch gets pushed through a rusty floor.

I really liked the washer switch my 74 Capri had. It was on the floor where the dimmer switch is on a Mustang. There was a rubber "pump" with a ring that operated the wipers over it. You could completely control the pressure of the washer. If you needed an intermittent wipe you just tapped the ring. The dimmer was located on the turn signal stalk. Flash-to-pass switch was common on European cars. It's cheaper for automakers to use a multifunction switch.

·
Registered
972 Posts
If the car has an auto the left foot has nothing better to do than play with the headlamps. My 67 has the washer pump (manual bellows) just above the dimmer switch. The left foot can get pretty busy washing the windshield, selecting high beams and running the man pedal.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks all for the input. The problem is that previous owners had removed old foot switch and stuffed it up inside wiring/steering column area. My concern with reinstalling it is putting more holes in an already very rust prone area.

Believe me, I want to keep the car mostly original and love the nostalgia factor.

·
Premium Member
6,096 Posts
Thanks all for the input. The problem is that previous owners had removed old foot switch and stuffed it up inside wiring/steering column area. My concern with reinstalling it is putting more holes in an already very rust prone area.

Believe me, I want to keep the car mostly original and love the nostalgia factor.
Sorry if your floor pans are rusty. Maybe another VMFr is close and can help with restoration? Maybe your current toe board (the angled part between the firewall and the flat floor pan, where the dimmer actually goes) can be saved by wire brushing and getting rid of any loose rust and using a treatment like POR-15 or Eastwood Rust Encapsulator ... that stuff is incredible and is hard as a rock when dried, won't rust any more ! You can install a different kind of switch if you like, temporarily or permanently, maybe fix the metal and return the dimmer to its rightful place in Automotive History.

Ooo ! By the way ! Some of the Studiosonic Reverb system cars got a second dimmer type on/off switch mounted on the floor , too !

·
Premium Member
6,096 Posts
There was a old joke about a blonde and the dimmer switch but I can't remember it. Maybe I AM a geezer! ?
I'd love to hear that one !

Blonde goes to a mechanic because she doesn't think her turn signal is working. After a short inspection he says, "I think it's fine..." "Okay, you turn it on and I'll look," says the blonde. He turns it on and she says, "Yes. No. Yes. No. Yes. No..."

1 - 15 of 15 Posts