Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Purchased an American Auto Wire kit to rewire the 65 completely. This is the last project :)laugh:) and the question is: The new harness is set up for a 1 wire alternator and I still have the old 3 wire - don't know which way to go - any suggestions? Advantages of one over the other. No A/C but could add it down the road ( but its convertible).....Thanks!

·
Registered
175 Posts
I have used the aaw kit too for my 66 mustang and there was no problem connecting to the old alternator. I can't remember at the moment how exactly it has to get Connected and since I am not home I can't check it now. If I am right it has something to do with the voltage regulator
Will check when home if no one else already helped you out.

·
Registered
175 Posts
not all the wires are supplied for this connection in the aaw kit
but this his how it should be connected :

I have inserted a diagram to wire your external regulated Ford Mustang alternator. As noted on the diagram, use circuit 4D and you will have to supply 3 wires for the regulator terminals.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Perfect just what I needed - Should I just order a new harness for the Alternator or make one up? Thanks again - Jerry

·
Registered
786 Posts
I have the AMP extra circuit setup that uses the factory alternator wiring and I'm going the other way. From the external regulator to the 3G. I bought a new alternator harness because mine was trashed and cut it up to use with this setup. It doesn't go very far and you'll still need a bunch of extra wires for an external regulator.

Maybe switch to a 3g? A whole lot better than the 1 wire GM style alternators. With that beautiful AAW kit it might be nice to have the extra jam from a bigger alternator!

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Rowdy - trying to keep my stock alternator - no big additions planned that I would need the higher output at this time.

Arthur - after looking at it I'll just make my own harness - thanks for the help!

Jerry

·
Registered
786 Posts
If you want, I have a regulator and plug and a bunch of it's wiring sitting on my garage floor after cutting up my harness..

·
Registered
4 Posts
Purchased an American Auto Wire kit to rewire the 65 completely. This is the last project :)laugh:) and the question is: The new harness is set up for a 1 wire alternator and I still have the old 3 wire - don't know which way to go - any suggestions? Advantages of one over the other. No A/C but could add it down the road ( but its convertible).....Thanks!
Can I ask what you ended up doing? I'm getting ready to install an AAW harmess in a '66 Coupe. I want to keep the alternator looking stock so I'm thinking of converting to 1-wire with this:

CONVERSION KIT ONE WIRE ALTERNATOR MAXIMUM | 10A316-1A | NPD

Thanks,

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Not sure which way I'll go - thinking of keeping what I have now without upgrading to a 3g type - not going to start this project till the end of April time frame but want everything line up and ready to go.

·
Registered
4 Posts
not all the wires are supplied for this connection in the aaw kit
but this his how it should be connected :

I have inserted a diagram to wire your external regulated Ford Mustang alternator. As noted on the diagram, use circuit 4D and you will have to supply 3 wires for the regulator terminals.

I know this is an old thread but I just got around to wiring the alternator since the customer put the project on hold. He ended up supplying a stock replacement alternator and external regulator and I have two questions.

Where does the other end of the brown ALT IGN wire on the AAW harness go and it is fused?

he bought a pigtail for the regulator with the green, yellow, white and black wires. The lugs on the alternator have white and a black plastic washers on the Stator and Field lugs which I would think would correspond with the Stator and Field wires on the regulator since they are also black and white but they don't, they are reversed. Is that normal? I'm guessing that the colors on the alternator mean nothing and just trust the letters cast into the case. I'm sure it was make in China.

Thanks,

1 - 15 of 15 Posts