Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, the belts that came with the car are half black and half brown. So we decided to replace them with a new set that was all black. So we got them in and went to install them and the problems started. The new belts came with a different style bolt and the bracket the bolt goes through has a smaller hole. The latch/catch is the same design, just a little different. But we didn't like the push-button style, so we're happy about that.

So, here are the bolts (new and old). Notice the difference.
Here's the only tag left on the old belts. The belts are actually black, not blue.
Old vs. New (bolt and bracket).
The problem. We tried using the old bolt with the new belt, but the bracket hole was too small.

The questions. Should we drill the hole larger in the new brackets to accomodate the old bolts? Should we look for a smaller bolt that has the smooth half on it like the old ones? Should we have somebody replace the webbing on the old belts and re-use the old hardware? Should we try to upgrade to the Shelby-style wide belts?

The qualifying statements. The car will be more of a fair-weather driver than a show car. We want belts that are safe, yet look like the original style that came with the car. We don't want to cut into the floor pan to replace the brackets already there (why cut up a rust-free floor pan?). Any help is (as always) greatly appreciated.

Stay tuned for more questions later in the day.

TK

·
Incorporated Sell Out
17,130 Posts
Seems like an easy fix to me, since you already have the larger holes drilled in the car, lock the new belt bracket in the vise, pull out your big drill bits and enlarge the hole to clear the shouldered bolt from the old set.

Or you weld up the hole in the floor and drill a new mounting hole.

·
Registered
2,204 Posts
i'm corn-fused about exactly what the problem is. Will the new bolt not go through the bracket hole on the new belt? ::

Why do you want to use the old bolts?

·
Registered
2,750 Posts
I would send the belts to Dallas Mustang with instructions to retrofit the original bracket on the new webbing. Its a matter of removing the thread on both and stitching the old bracket onto the new webbing. Not hard for someone set up with sewing machine. I think they reweb belts completely for $20 each. They also sell new shoulder bolts of the type you list as "old" style.

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Okay, so let me clear up the Monday morning confusion. First, get a cup of liquid caffeine. Second, the threads on both new and old bolts are the same size/pitch to the best of our knowledge. Since it appears the bracket inteh floor pan was never tapped at the factory, both sets of bolts are taking a beating when getting threaded into/out of the floor pan bracket. Yes, the new bolt does fit the bracket on the new belt. However, the old bolt has no threads on half of it. This allows the seat belt bracket (and thus the belt) some movement when the seat is forward or back, or the rider has different waist sizes. This is what we are looking for in the new belts. That movement. When I installed the new belts, the went all the way to the carpet. No movement at all. I actually put the driver's side on wrong and had to loosen it and move it so it wasn't facing backwards. Still confused? Have another cup of coffee/can of Coke.

·
Incorporated Sell Out
17,130 Posts
Ohhhh well thats even easier then.
Go to hardware store, purchase 1 steel spacer with the inner diameter of the bolt and 2 washers.
Cut the spacer in half, stick it on the bolt, then the washer, then throught the bracket and bolt on the underside. ::

Or drill the new brackets to accept the old bolt like I suggested in my original post. :D

·
Registered
2,204 Posts
OOOOOOH!http://216.40.249.192/s/cwm/cwm/thinkerg.gif
I guess you don't want to just file off the threads closest to the head of the belt?

I have the new style belts, but my old bolts were fully threaded to.

Ok, I'm shootin' from the hip here, but how about you leave the belt a little loose when you tighten the nut, then get another locking nut and tighten that the the back of the first nut, (like on the primitive seat adjustment nut and bolt). so the nut will not work itself loose, but you have room to pivot the belt

·
Registered
5,196 Posts
This allows the seat belt bracket (and thus the belt) some movement when the seat is forward or back, or the rider has different waist sizes. This is what we are looking for in the new belts. That movement. When I installed the new belts, the went all the way to the carpet. No movement at all. I actually put the driver's side on wrong and had to loosen it and move it so it wasn't facing backwards. Still confused? Have another cup of coffee/can of Coke.
First caffeinne was about 6 hours ago (yeah, that's 4:30).

You're making this MUCH more difficult than it is. Don't tighten the bolts all the way... Tighten them enough to remove excess movement, that's all. It doesn't matter that the belt swivels on the thread of the new bolt, instead of the unthreaded part of the old bolt. The plate in the car has an interference thread that keeps the bolt from loosening. IF you're REALLY concerned about it, add a drop or 2 of loctite ... ::

1 - 10 of 10 Posts