Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a '65 fastback project car, and I would like more info on the locations on the body serial numbers for that year. I am missing the door plate, and the numbers beside left fender are almost worn away. Is there any other locations that I can check to verify if these numbers are correct?....

·
Supporting Vendor
3,961 Posts
Under the right front fender there should be the same set of
numbers. If you clean the area under the numbers on the left
side you may be able to read the stamping. The left side of the
trunk area under the lip for the weather stripping near the left
hinge, there will be a date code.

·
Gone but never forgetten
25,239 Posts
There's also a second VIN on the driver's inner fender. Both that one and the one that Opentracker referrred to are only visible by unbolting at least the top of the fender (maybe have to unbolt even more) to be able to see them.

There's a total of 3 VINs stamped on the tops of the 2 inner fenders ... only 1 is visible with the fenders in place, though.

Oh, and that's it ... no other place on the car will you find a VIN for a '65/'66

If you always do what you've always done,
You'll always get what you've always got

http://www.classic-mustang.net/johnpro

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My 65 is missing the door plate but I have one on the inner fender. How do you decode the date code from this since it is not in the same order as the door plate? All literature references the door plate and it makes it hard to be sure the number I am looking at is the correct date.

·
Registered
6,807 Posts
IF this is a tag held in plcace with a screw you found the buck tag. Post the info and we can help

Jeff Speegle
MCA Shelby Gold Card

www.geocities.com/MotorCity/6473/
Mustang & Shelby research, documentation, and help.
Where sharing with one .. means sharing with all

·
Registered
6,807 Posts
Check for a buck tag on the fender to engine compartment area passeger side normally if the car was built in NJ, If it had a 4 speed and the original one is there check it for a VIN. Lastly you could luck out and have an original owners manual this may have written info on the back side of the front cover or have a temporary owners ID attached to it

Jeff Speegle
MCA Shelby Gold Card

www.geocities.com/MotorCity/6473/
Mustang & Shelby research, documentation, and help.
Where sharing with one .. means sharing with all

1 - 6 of 6 Posts