Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I just bought two used 65 R-Model competition seats for my Shelby R-Model clone
Project. They are all fiberglass seats and came with the covers, but that’s it. No holes are pre-drilled for any seat tracks or mounts. They are Delta Bay seats Model DB-052. I checked with Delta bay and they are back ordered on the seat mounts. I was wondering if any of you VMF guys ever installed this type seat and what kind of mounting brackets or seat mounts you used. I know I can drill holes in the fiberglass seat bottoms and install standard seat sliders or after market race seat sliders. I am worried that if I mount the seats directly to the floor pans they will not be high enough. I want my R-model clone to be as close as original as I can, but I drive myself crazy doing it. I hope someone can help me out.

Thanks,
Bob

·
Registered
184 Posts
We had a real '65 R model seat in the shop the other day. It had 1" square tube frame and used the factory seat tracks. The tube frame was bolted to the bottom of the seat and then fiberglassed all the way around. We are making a new seat cover for it. If the customer hasn't picked it up yet, I will try and get you some pictures.

Patrick

·
Registered
3,894 Posts
Here's mine...

http://forums.vintage-mustang.com/forums/photopost486/data/571/7612pict0850.jpg

Uses 1" square tubing and bolts through the floor in the stock location.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Dave, I did not get that far. I plan on using the type pad that mounts to the roll bar. I still have to research the company that makes them. The seat are driving me crazy because they are all fiberglass and did not come with seat tracks. I only have about a 8"X 8" flat surface for mounting on the seat bottom.

Good luck,

Bob

·
Registered
184 Posts
Email me at [email protected] and I'll send you pictures of the seat tracks and the mounting. The frame is made of 1" Square tubing. The front and back pieces are on the bottom and the side pieces stacked on top. The tubing has nuts welded on the inside for the seat tracks to bolt on the factory seat tracks. Then the frame is fiberglassed all the way around the perimeter of the frame to the seat. It only uses 2 bolts to hold the seat to the frame. 1 in the front and 1 in the back. Both centered. This seat is from a real R model.

Patrick

1 - 7 of 7 Posts