Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings

I began cleaning up my spindles so that they can be reinstalled but found some wear on the boss where the bearing rides against. Both have about a .005 groove worn into them where the bearing has spun a some point, but the rest of the spindles look good.

What do you guys think? Are they still serviceable?

Thanks

Attachments

·
Registered
10,099 Posts
My professional opinion working for a roller bearing manufacturer is "if it has spun on the spindle
don't reuse it." (spindle)
That said, just looking at the photos, I'd want to take a close physical look. The rolling element
slides on the pin and should be fairly tight but that's not all of the story. Where it butts up against
the base of the spindle(@ the bearing's back face radius).... that's another facet of assuring that
under the correct preload, the bearing ID doesn't spin.

Practically-speaking though, as cmefly said, do you have another spindle? Is it any better?

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the speedy replies guys, I don't have better spindles and don't know where to get any. No such thing as a speedy sleeve like washer to renew I'm sure and I don't guess the face of a new bearing would be wider now compared to 65. Man I hate to change all this stuff... guess run them as is and keep an eye on them.

Thanks

·
Registered
5,629 Posts
Tough call when you consider what "might happen." Likely 97% fine considering wheel bearing failure isn't unheard of and all of those spindles are not changed. I had some like that with a lot of bluing around the area. If I had known at the time I could add disc brakes to them I probably have kept them and ran them.

·
Premium Member
68 Mustang Coupe
4,154 Posts
Since the bearing is not an interference fit you'll be fine.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts