Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello:
I have two 1965 Mustangs (a coupe and a vert)... both were born in July, 1965 (the 9th and the 16th)

Here is my question.... each have the original engine still in them, and the date stamp on the intake manifold is C6xxxx (which I understand denotes the year 1966)

When did the 65 production end and 66 production begin?? Has anyone else seen this before? Is it possible that these cars were built so late in the 65 production that they got 66 stamped parts?

I was just curious, because it is the same on both of my cars... one was built in San Jose, the other in Dearborn.

Also, the engines are painted ford black w/ the C6xxx date stamp... I hear that the 65 engines were black and the 66 engines were blue. I want to repaint each and make sure they are the right color

Thanks,

Eric

·
Premium Member
3,428 Posts
I think you're looking at the cast number not the date code. Date code will look something like 5G9 for a build date of July 9, 65. Engine date should be earlier than build date of car.
Could have replace intake.

1966 Red Conv (200)
1966 White Pony Int.(289)A Code
1966 Coupe (289) C Code
MCA 36048<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by 1966conv on 04/20/01 04:42 PM (server time).</FONT></P>

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Where is the build date located on the engine?
If it has a build date prior to car... then is the casting date of 66 still accurate?

Thanks,

G

·
0 Posts
I also have a 65 San Jose coupe with a build date of July 27, 1965. My intake is also a C6 part#, but the intake production date code is a 5G14 (July 14, 1965). I bet you also have a date code on your intake that would be somewhere around 5FXX to 5GXX. Check it out!

·
Registered
2,615 Posts
The engine build date is stamped into a machined ear in front of the driver's side head on the block. It will have the year, month, day, and inspector's letter.

65 Mustang Convertible 289 C-code
Ivy Green with Ivy Gold & White Deluxe Interior

G

·
0 Posts
I've got the same thing in my 65 a-code with a build date of Oct. 31, 1964 (San Jose assembly). The intake maiifold (blue) has been replaced. The build date is located next to the sending unit plug on the top right front of the intake manifold. You can see it by looking down between the carb air cleaner and the distributor cap. I was ticked off when I saw a build date of 6E5 on mine. I guess it was pretty common to replace the intake manifolds because they used to fail pretty often (this is what an old timer told me who claims to have had mustangs when he was younger).

1 - 6 of 6 Posts