Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!
  • May's Ride of the Month contest ended with a tie! Go to this thread to vote on the winner! VOTE HERE
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 65 mustang with all "new" stock wiring with an AOD conversion. I can't figure out where the harness for the neutral safety switch goes? I see that one wire goes to the rear of the car but where does the other one go?? Help!!!!! Also does anybody know the color wires that the rear harness plugs into the under dash harness i can't find the wires to plug in the rear to the under dash. Thanks for the help

·
Gone but never forgetten
25,239 Posts
Wire running to the rear of the car? What year car is this and what was the original transmission? I'm going to guess it was an FMX or manual.

Normally, the 2 NS switch wires AND the 2 backup light wires come down from a firewall plug in the engine bay. Where these wires come through the firewall completely depend on the year of the car.

There is a connector that goes into the side of the AOD on the driver's side, that will have 4 wires coming out. I don't remember which wires go to which, but it's very easy to figure them out with an ohm meter or test light (it's been about 7 years since I did the AOD conversion in my '66, which is why I can't remember which wire is which).

Hooking up the NS switch and backup lights is WAY easier if you have the AOD connector, then chop off the one end, chop off the wires from a '65-'73 C4 NS switch and graft the C4 wire onto the AOD plug.

·
Registered
10,775 Posts
John is correct. You need the pigtail that connects to the connector on the driver's side. Here's a pic of the connector. There is a square tab that forces you to install the wires only one way. With the plastic tab in a 12 o'clock position, the two metal pins on the left of the tab is your backup lights and the two on the right side is your NSS (Neutral safety switch).

You can get the pigtail from your local wrecking yard. Just look for any large Ford such as a Town Car or LTD. Go under and pull off the connector and fish as much wiring as possible before you cut.

Typically if your 65 originally had a C4, you probably have 4 wires up against the firewall as what John was talking about. Possibly they might have been altered or removed by the previous owner. The colors of these wires on my daughter's 65 are red/purple & red/purple which would be for the NSS. Purple and red/white which would be for the back up lights. If you don't have backup lights, these two latter wires might be connected together. Don't quote me on the colors for possibly it might be different in your car.

Assuming you have a shop manual, it will tell you what the colors "should" be.

·
Registered
10,775 Posts
After reading your post again, you would have a few wires running to the rear. Brake, taillight and if you have back uplights. When you say running to the rear where is it running at? Along the tunnel or where?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts