Vintage Mustang Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a 65 coupe w/ the 289 and 4 speed. My starter is going out so I pulled it off but can't figure out what the right replacement part is.

On the bell housing, I see D0OF-11131-A

and on the housing I see
9 10 0
1 31 1

Any advice on what I should replace it with? I'd like to try to stay as close to the original as possible.

Automotive tire Wood Rim Plumbing fixture Circle
Brown Wood Automotive tire Grey Tints and shades

· Premium Member
10,006 Posts
If you want to stay "close" to OEM, take it to your favorite local autoparts (NAPA, Autozone, Advance Auto) store. Or, search this forum with "starter motor", you'll get a bag of results. This subject has been sooooo asked.

· Registered
1966 Mustang 289/306 3spd coupe, 1966 Mustang 289 C4 coupe, 1965/64.5 Mustang 289 4spd convertible
2,074 Posts
If you believe it to be original to the car and feel the need to keep it original, there's always the option of having it rebuilt. Or rebuilding it yourself. Not a lot of shops still rebuild starters, alternator and generators. A dying art. However, I don't believe D0OF-11131-A is a '65 part number, so I'm thinking your bellhousing has been replaced.

· Premium Member
15,653 Posts
Your bellhousing was re-designed for the 1970 model year (D0).
If you go to the parts store and tell them you need a starter for a '65 289 with a 4 speed transmission they will sell you the so called "manual" starter which is probably the wrong starter as you need the so called "automatic" starter. This anomaly has been discussed here hundreds of times and the parts stores refuse to correct their catalogs.
Take your present starter with you and compare the drive gear between the 2 starters. The automatic starter has most of the drive gear exposed and the manual starter has most of the drive gear retracted into the nose housing. If you post a photo of your starter drive gear from the side we can tell you which starter you have.

· Registered
45,104 Posts
Look at your current starter motor from a side view. If you can see the drive gear fully, you need the "automatic" starter. If the drive gear is "recessed", you need the "manual" starter.

Attachments

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.