Vintage Mustang Forums banner

81 - 89 of 89 Posts

·
Registered
7,835 Posts
For limited track performance, I’ll be looking into Hoosiers bias-ply Racing tires as I hear the Goodyears chunk up the edges fairly quickly. Open to suggestions for track use.
Whoever you heard that from must have a wonky setup. I’ve never had or seen that on any blue streaks.

Mark

·
Super Moderator
8,938 Posts
I’m with Mark, I have ran the same set of used Blue Streaks all year. No chunking. Will attend my final event of the year at Barber next weekend...on the same set of tires. Checked tread and durometer on all of them today. Good to go. I also have a set of hand me downs from Mark on my spare TTD’s. Good tread and decent durometer. No chunks missing.

I’ll also add, the edges aren’t doing the real work.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #85
Whoever you heard that from must have a wonky setup.
@silverblueBP was a Cobra owner/driver at Willow Springs last year. The GYs were definitely chewed up on the edges and he only had ~3 events on the tires.

Until I get more track experience, I’m going to refrain from any racing related comments...only questions. Lol.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #87 (Edited)
The Mustang is in for a basic tune up. But we are finding a few minor issues, so I need to accelerate the timing on other planned upgrades...

Oil Pan
  • pan gasket is leaking and could just replace it...but with future track time planned, I'm going to need a better oil pan anyway
  • quite a few options...Aviad, Canton, Moroso, Shelby ("Cobra" repro from '60s), and other smaller racing brands
  • steel pan is probably a better since most of my driving is on street (don't want to risk cracking open a low-hanging aluminum pan)
  • after research and some feeback (thanks @patrickstapler) think I'm going to install:
    • Canton #15-630 Front Sump Road Race Oil Pan (9 QT capacity, 16 GA steel, baffled and trap doors, moderate depth)
    • Canton #15-611 oil pickup
    • Canton #20-850 universal dipstick
    • Canton #22-360 stud kit
    • Canton #88-600 pan gasket (4 pc)
    • Melling #M68HV high volume oil pump (+25% gpm)
    • Zray Lower Cross-member (to clear the big Canton pan)

Front Suspension
  • ball joints are worn; already have 620 coil springs (rated 600#)
  • focused on street performance with light track duty, so no high-end racing parts needed (yet)
  • Have narrowed down to:
    • perform “Shelby Drop” to upper A arms
    • install Open Tracker Racing parts:
    • Upper A Arms (blueprinted version)
    • Lower Control Arms (street performance version)
    • weld-in shock tower bracing from Trans-Am Series Mustangs (all the suspension will be out for Shelby Drop)
Brakes
  • rear axle seals are leaking (getting those replaced)...and drum brake shoes are saturated
  • since I have to replace the rear shoes...more Open Tracker Racing parts:
    • Upgrade rear drum shoes to Porterfield street performance (to replace OEM shoes)
    • Upgrade front (Granada) calipers to Porterfield street pads (to replace OEM pads)
Other ideas or suggestions re: above parts?

·
Registered
321 Posts
Ok, the Mustang is in for a basic tune up and finding a couple issues. Would be great to get some advice...

Oil Pan
  • Need to pull it and replace the seal (leaking gasket)
  • With some track use need to upgrade the stock pan
  • planned use is mostly street...so I hesitate getting an aluminum “Cobra” pan (long tube headers already scrape lightly on street culverts and raised parking lot curb transitions) plus it’s over $500!
  • need extra capacity and windage trays
  • Canton, Moroso, Weiand...lots of options for T shaped steel pans
  • Recommendations?
Front Suspension
  • Ball joints worn; already have 620 springs
  • again car is mostly focused on street performance...so I don’t need high-end racing parts at this stage
  • Definitely doing “Shelby Drop” to front end
  • Thinking about OpenTrackerRacing parts:
  • Upper A Arms (blueprinted version)
  • Lower Control Arms (street performance version)
  • Trans Am shock tower bracing (all the suspension is out for the Shelby Drop, so might as well)
Thoughts on above parts? Other ideas?
Not to gloriously self-promote, but check out my suspension mods thread. I think a similar setup might be right up your alley. Also, I love my Canton Road Race pan...

81 - 89 of 89 Posts