Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I hope someone can shed some light on my problem. I just purchased a 65 conv originally a C code but po made some modifications to the engine. Installed a Hi Po 271hp cam, an original Ford a code 4 barrel carb and manifold and 3:25 rear end gears. The engine runs strong but I don't think I have either a drive or a 2nd gear in the auto transmission. When I put the gear shift into drive it runs well but when I shift down to second gear there is no down shift car still runs. When I down shift into 1st gear I feel a definite down shift. I had the car on the highway and the tach read 3000 rpm and the speedometer indicated I was doing 80mph. Not likely because a Yugo passed me. The car also has new 205x70x14 tires. Can my speedometer be that far off, my trans running insecond gear or is it the effect of the low gear rear end.
As everyone might be able to tell this is my first new [old] mustang and I have a lot to learn. I have been reading this site for several weeks and have learned a lot from questions and responces. I am looking forward to sharing my experiences with everyone. Thanks in advance for the help.
Phil

·
Registered
10,587 Posts
Green dot tranny....

1st detent back from neutral starts the car in 2nd gear and then shifts to 3rd...

2nd detent back starts the car in 1st gear and goes through the normal gear shifts

All the way back will hold the car in 1st gear from a start or 2nd gear if downshifting from above about 20mph in 3rd. It will also downshift the trans to 1st if the car is running below 20mph or so...

Does that make any sense?? *G*

64.5, 65 and 66 trannys are like that IIRC...

Edited to add that 3000 rpm with a 3.25 gear and a 25" tall tire would be a little over 69 mph, not accounting for converter slippage....

Pat
http://www.jps.net/binay/webdocs/strtmstng002_sml.JPG

·
Registered
3,179 Posts
If you have a '65 trans your shift pattern is:

White dot = 2-3

Green Dot with white circle = 1-2-3

L = 1-2

(Yes, I goofed on the order so I corrected it)

This was Ford's better idea for '65 and '66.

They went to the normal PRNDL2L1 in '67

Sounds like your trans is normal for a '65-'66.

Regards,

Dean T

Shikatta Ga Nai - "It cannot be helped"<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by Dean_T on 04/16/01 08:11 PM (server time).</FONT></P>

·
Registered
3,179 Posts
Dang, more precise and more text but still beat me out! Camachinist: Fastest Keyboard in the West! LOL

Regards,

Dean T

Shikatta Ga Nai - "It cannot be helped"

·
Registered
10,587 Posts
That's Ok....you only have to tolerate me in small bites....now that business has picked up and I have husbandly obligations...*G*

Pat

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
After another look it makes sense. If I put the lever in the second postion from nuetral which is the green dot, it should hit all 3 gears. Any suggestions on how to fix the speedo?
The po installed a GT instrument panel and rally pack, everything seems to work except the speedo. Would it be a new cable, an adjustment or what? Thanks for all the input.
Phil

·
Registered
10,587 Posts
Take a look at your door data plate in the "axle" area...post what you see there.

It's possible someone's changed gears from the original set and didn't update the speedo gear...

Here's a simple formula that will get you close...I'll use 3.00 as the original ratio for this example...

3.00 : 3.25 = 19 : x

19 is my guess at the number of teeth on the speedo driven gear that goes into the extension housing of your tranny...

So....by simple math...3.25 x 19 = 61.75 then divide by 3.00 = 20.58 (21)....that would be the number of teeth for the speedo to read the same as it did at OEM...

This does not take into account tire rolling circumference changes from OEM...or departures from the OEM driving gear in the trans (but this is rarely changed)

Pat

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The transmission code is 6 which I believe are 2:80 gears. I have found a speedo shop that will calibrate the speedo for me. But if all it takes is a different cable or gear maybe it is something I can do myself.
Thanks again
Phil

1 - 8 of 8 Posts