Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone had a problem mounting the transmission kickdown lever for a 65 coupe on a
Edelbrock Torker II intake manifold?? Just wondering how you solved this ?? Thanks

·
Registered
3,482 Posts
Early Mustangs didn't have a lever arm running from the carb to the kick-down lever on the transmission. Rather, they had a arm extending down on the gas pedal bellcrank which was connected via a cable to the transmission. I have found these kick-down lever arms mostly as a welded addition to the pedal assy, but also as bolt-on. It is possible to use them to activate the kick-down, but I believe it also would require a different kick-down lever on the transmission, internally and externally (can't recall the details). Is it possible your drivetrain (engine & transmission) have been changed out to a later model?

Tom Kubler, Long-time Mustang Enthusiast & San Antonio Mustang Club Founder

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
the early stangs DID have a lever actuated kick down on automatic cars. the change to the cable came in 66 and the accelerator pedal assembly was modified.

I would suggest getting a 66 setup instead of worrying about the levers fitting on the edlbrock.

Charles Turner
MCA Gold Card Judge(64.5-65, 66)
'65 Fastback
'00 GT Conv, triple black

Check out my 65 [color:blue]fastback!</font color=blue>

·
Registered
3,482 Posts
Thanks Charles. Jeff Speegles, your, and other's periodic scanning and contributions to this forum are in valuable... especially when I'm looking out through my belly button. By the way... Why did some cars have the bolt-on lever?

·
Registered
3,482 Posts
No, that's not what I meant. I have... two(?) pedal assy which use the cable kick down, but the lever arm which pulls the cable is clamped (or bolted) onto the shaft rather than the more common welded on lever arm. (Sorry for the poorly worded question) I've held on to them just because I found them to be such oddities.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have a edelbrock performer and used the early 65 kickdown.Had no problem with lineup and works fine.The later cable design is a better way to go.

·
Registered
3,179 Posts
To do this you will need the '66 gas pedal linkage for AT equipped 'Stang (not sure if '67-'68 is same part but looks dang close), the kick down cable (any Mustang parts place has them), and the little metal kick down rod mounted on the trans. That last one is not the same on the '66s as the '65s of course but I think the '67 and '68s are the same as the '66s - at least the '67 worked on a '64.5/'65 parts car I reassembled.

Regards,

Dean T

Shikatta Ga Nai - "It cannot be helped"

1 - 9 of 9 Posts