Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My '65 coupe was built in Nov. '64...so it's a late model. But it has the bullet connectors under the dash like the 64-and-a-half models did. Guessing the factory just used the earlier harness, despite the late build date.

Previous owner put in the '65 turn signal harness that has the pin connectors, then just spliced them into the bullet connectors. Somewhere along the way, he messed up the wiring. For example, I can't get the tail lights to come on, even though the turn signals work. Turn signals also blink when I apply the brakes, even with the key off.

My question....should I put in the 64-and-a-half turn signal harness? Or is there a better solution to this mess?

·
Registered
7,109 Posts
My '65 coupe was built in Nov. '64...so it's a late model. But it has the bullet connectors under the dash like the 64-and-a-half models did. Guessing the factory just used the earlier harness, despite the late build date.

Previous owner put in the '65 turn signal harness that has the pin connectors, then just spliced them into the bullet connectors. Somewhere along the way, he messed up the wiring. For example, I can't get the tail lights to come on, even though the turn signals work. Turn signals also blink when I apply the brakes, even with the key off.

My question....should I put in the 64-and-a-half turn signal harness? Or is there a better solution to this mess?
HI,
Are you working from a wiring diagram for your 65? There are some subtle changes between the 64.5 (mine) and the later 65 (change over occurred in Aug Sept), but, I didn't find "bullet" connectors a part of it. One of the major differences was in the horn operation and ring etc. My May built 64.5 was botched up with the later 65 turn signal harness and steering wheel setup, so, I had to change it all.
I would meter the connection from, the brake light sw, re-check for correct terminations and clean connections again, before buying another signal harness.
I have both wiring diagrams, BTW, if you more questions.
Good Luck!

·
Registered
35,891 Posts
You have more problems than you think. The tail lights are not connected in any way to the turn signal wiring, except at the back end of the car.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Many problems, 22GT, but it appears the turn signal harness is not among them. I was just puzzled as to the discrepancy on the underdash harness connectors.
Ken, I'll dig out my wiring diagram and start checking connections. Thanks!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts