Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Nov built San Jose, 65 Fastback appears to have a grey primer on the underside floor pans covered by body color. The car has not been painted on the underside that I can tell. There are runs and drips in the body color. When the car was repainted in the 80's it was not disassembled as under the rocker covers it is the original paint.
The frame rails under the engine compartment is the traditinal red primer/black firewall to the foot boards.
Is it possible the underside of the car was sprayed grey/body color at the factory? If not, any ideas as to why it would have this?

·
Registered
6,807 Posts
gwood said:
My Nov built San Jose, 65 Fastback appears to have a grey primer on the underside floor pans covered by body color..................
Is it possible the underside of the car was sprayed grey/body color at the factory?

If it is gray primer of some form it would be the first I've heard of or seen out of tens of thousands of cars.

Have you cut/sanded through the drips on the floor pan and rewetted those spots to get a real clear look at the bottom most color?

Also assuming that your looking at the floor pans at a remote spot that was protected - example over the trans

gwood said:
If not, any ideas as to why it would have this?

Hard to say - seen allot of PO changes/choices that I can't always explain. Especially after 40+ years

Where is the car located??

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Jeff:

I have cut through a drip. It went from what it appears to be Caspian blue, to grey, to metal (good condition). I took the sample close to the transmission hump. The remainder of the underside is in good condition and appears untouched (chalk marks on differential, red oxide center section, etc)

The car is located in Calgary, Canada.

·
Registered
6,807 Posts
Should have asked for a VIN or a scheduled build date for the car earlier to compare with pictures of other cars build at the same time/plant

1 - 5 of 5 Posts