Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there all. Restoring my vent windows and had a question on the stainless division bar. What is the correct finish on that piece. I have seen some that have been polished out and then I see dull stainless finishes on some. What would be the best way to restore these two pieces for factory look? Thank you for your help.

·
Registered
10,175 Posts
I'd say stainless steel needs to look like stainless steel. Any dull finish would be a surprise, especially on a Concous restored car. It is not hard polishing stinless. It depends whether or not there are any deep scratches (can you catch it with a finger nail?) Star with 600 grit, and do it progessivly until 2000 or 3000 has it looking good. Then polish with a cotton disk with the paste stuff for stainless.
Tip: watch out that the chrome on the window's hinge is still chrome looking. Seems the chrome there can disappear. It's not much but I've heard of judges looking "right there" for it.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'd say stainless steel needs to look like stainless steel. Any dull finish would be a surprise, especially on a Concous restored car. It is not hard polishing stinless. It depends whether or not there are any deep scratches (can you catch it with a finger nail?) Star with 600 grit, and do it progessivly until 2000 or 3000 has it looking good. Then polish with a cotton disk with the paste stuff for stainless.
Tip: watch out that the chrome on the window's hinge is still chrome looking. Seems the chrome there can disappear. It's not much but I've heard of judges looking "right there" for it.
Thank you so much for chiming in. I was going to buy a set of polished ones but I am going to give the sandpaper a shot.as its cheeper I assume these are wet sanding paper. And thank you for not chopping me up on trying to restore these, no repo parts are acceptable. These are the last pieces to do and then I have a beautiful set of factory restored vent windows. I have nice glass frames with the chrome pivot looking beautiful still, should I also polish that frame out also? Not sure how to detail that, I saw an NOS piece and it was dull !

1 - 3 of 3 Posts