Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
10,775 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
During the latter 65 era, did Ford put the typical 66 rear quarter name plate on a late 65? Same question goes for the typical round bezeled instrumentation panel instead of the retangle bezel. This guy who is selling a 65 vert has these on his car and claims that it is infact a 65. A local Mustang shop apparently confirmed that it is a 65. So maybe the previous owner before this current seller might have put those 66 markings on it?

·
Registered
7,294 Posts
The 5-gauge cluster came with Pony interior and GTs in 65 while the rest got the square cluster. I don't know what you mean by the nameplate though.::
HTH
--Kyle

·
Registered
3,818 Posts
Rear quarter name plate? The only trim I am aware of on the rear quarter is the faux side scoop trim (I'm sure there is a proper name for it, but it escapes me at the moment) As for the dash cluster, that is an easy swap. The VIN is the most definative way to say what year a car should be. Could it be rebodied? Possible. Change the grill, running horse, gauge cluster, glove box door, door panels and handles, side trim and gas cap and your 65 looks like a 66, or visa versa.

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
Here is one for ya on the subject(no Im not suggesting that this is the case):

My first car (66)had the 65 rear 1/4 trim on it which was kinda weird but we didn't think much of it. When I pulled off the vinyl top it was rusted to $H!T and I noticed pop rivets where the roof met the rear 1/4's. Long story short, we found out that it must have been in an accident and the whole ass end of my 66 was from a 65....and it was pop rivited together under the vinyl top :jawdrop:. Took what I needed out of it, sold it on ebay, and bought my 65 shell. Learned the hard way....

·
Premium Member
7,085 Posts
My 66 convertible had a complete center section (Door pillars, firewall, cowl, dash ) everything grafted on from a 65. There was red paint still under the black paint, and the car was never put back on the street before I got it, as it still had the 65 heater box, automatic brake pedal (on a 4 speed car) and all the 65 instrumentation, wiring, etc. I am guessing the car had a dash fire, tree fell on it, or something.

Also had a 65 coupe I bought for parts (when cars were cheap) for $100. I had really clean rust free quarters that I would up cutting off and selling. Only when I went to cut them did I realize one was a 66 panel (with the 3 finger quarter trim) and one with the 65 pistol grip. It was obviously a very old repair, well done, even had the seam in the wheel well spot welded, not torched (repair probably predated a MIG).

Also had a 66 convertible that was totalled in 67, and had sat since. When I bought it, needed a lot of work. It had gotten underwater (house was beside a lake), even had a water line through the instrument cluster. Since the carpet had gotten soak many times, I just kicked a hole in the rear floors to clean out 5" of mud, etc. I realized the floors were double paneled. Long story short, the entire car had been cut in half, and the rear half (cut between the front and rear frame rails) had been welded on. This was in addition to the front and Left side (shock tower forward accross including the complete core support) had been replaced (braze marks, cut marks). The VIN on the LF was gone, but the VINS on both rear aprons matched the door and the title). All this happened BEFORE the car was totalled in 1967 (still had the 1967 plates on it). So it had been in at least 2 HEAVY wrecks requiring 1/2 a car in one, and the lf corner in another wreck to be replaced before finally wrecking and sitting for 35 years. Rough life for less than 20,000 miles.

One fender I bought for my 65 in 1970 had 27 coats of paint, so it obviously had seen life on many cars by then (but none after me as I totalled that car hard in the front)

So nothing really surprises me as far as chunks changed out over time.

·
Registered
3,134 Posts
Sounds like an accident victim or lack of knowledge to me. By the way, the seats have different upholstery and inner plastic covers (where the upper and lower parts of the seat hinge) on a '66 as well. The VIN, as was said above will tell you for sure, but all of the '66 parts will bolt easily to a '65 making it look like a '66. The side spears might require some drilling; I don't know since I have a '65. But be careful here; someone I know bought two dead '68's and made a good one. He also swapped VINs and registered it. Then he sold it with no problem. It can be done. If you were to ask for advice, mine would be to walk away. It seems there is something not right here.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts