Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
900 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok i have tried the obvious and put the bars all the way forward for more tension- started in middle and went to all 3 positions..

there is tension on the bars and they hold hinges up but once bolting trunk on they seem to do nothing.

the previous owner chromed both tension bars and the hinges..

does chroming process take the temper out of the bars and they lose their torsional ability?

and coupe bars are different i was told so i dont think finding 65-66 vert trunk torsion bars is going to be easy so was wondering if anyone has made any gas struts fit?

i dont know if i could possibly have the bars installed wrong-- just seems like they dont hold any weight..

·
Registered
9,022 Posts
Sounds like you need new bars..from a junker..

Tony K.

·
Registered
3,821 Posts
I don't see why the coupe and convertible bars would be different. Fastback, yes.

Frank

·
Registered
35,881 Posts
Yes, chroming the bars probably destroyed the temper.

·
Registered
2,617 Posts
I don't see why the coupe and convertible bars would be different. Fastback, yes.
Coupe tension bars will not fit on a convertible (ask me how I know). However, tension bars from a 65 (and probably other years) Falcon coupe will work. These are fairly easy to find.

·
(actually Slim Jr now)
24,597 Posts
Coupe tension bars will not fit on a convertible (ask me how I know). However, tension bars from a 65 (and probably other years) Falcon coupe will work. These are fairly easy to find.

I give up! How do you know? LOL

·
Registered
2,617 Posts
I give up! How do you know? LOL
Because I assumed that my 65 coupe tension rods would work in my 65 convertible. Long story short, they're different and the coupe rods don't work.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts