Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
'67/68 rear is 2 inches wider but the mounting points are the same. (I have a '67 rear in the car in my sig-pic. Sharp eyes will see that the tires appear to fill-out the wheel well a little more... which looks better, imo.)

- Gord

·
Registered
3,745 Posts
I ran a 67 rear end in my 66 for 15 years and ran 225-60r14 tires. The tires would rub / cut the side walls, not good. If you want to run tires wider than stock, stick with a 65/66 rear end.

My car also had a 67 rear end in it in my signature picture.

·
Registered
307 Posts
I'm running a 67-70 rear in my 65. As stated it is 1" wider on each side. It is a 9". I'm running 2004 mustang bullit wheels (17" x 8") that have 2" additional back spacing. It eliminates the need for wheel spacers with this combination.

·
Registered
277 Posts
What is the width of a 67-68 rear or a 65/66 rear. I just bought a 65 coupe and I'm not sure if this has been changed.
Thanks,

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
I ran a 66 8" rear in a '67 coupe for many years. I had a set of wider cragars for the back, so it actually worked really well.

You can also look for the tapered axle tubes. I am pretty sure the early (pre-'67) axle tubes have an obvious taper right where the ubolts attach to the springs.

·
Premium Member
12 Posts
the 65-66 rear housing is 52.25" flange to flange (57.25" wheel mount to wheel mount), while the 67 - 70 is 54.25" flange to flange (59.25" wheel mount to wheel mount).

N

·
0 Posts
Does your current rear have the fill plug in the back or on the side?? That can help clue you in as to what year the rear end is. Try also searching kevinstang I think it is spelled. He has a lot of useful info on his site for 8 and 9 inch rears. HTH

1 - 8 of 8 Posts