Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been trying to find a good video on how to remove the chrome trip. Lots show how to put it on, only one I saw taking it off and the video was really bad.

A search in this forum found this thread with a few picture:

I was trying to figure out if that was the top or bottom trim. In either case, do you slide a tool from the far side of the trim and bend down the clip on the opposite side with the tool ? I was thinking the clip would be on the same side was the too. Seems like it would be hard to get that deep under the trim. My car was completed just a couple years ago and the rubber is all new and I don't want to gouge out the seal to get to the clips. I just found the top corner , above the driver's side leaks in a hard , long rain, and I want top pop the top trim off and seal the leak .

·
Registered
470 Posts
Put tape all the way around and then use a plastic trim tool that you can go through across the weatherstrip and light bend the clip. It’s a bit of a pain. There is a tool for it as well but I’ve used the trip tool a few times and it works.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What's the plastic tool look like ? I ordered the metal one that looks like and arrow at one end. As a second question... How do you remove the little strip that covers the seam between the top two trim pieces without damaging it ? An auto glass guy installed all this when he installed the window, so I have no memory of how it all went on.

·
Registered
35,460 Posts
I've don well with this tool, although I do sharpen the points for better insertion. You slide it under the moulding, hook the clip and release.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts