Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Holley sniper EFI is very responsive when it comes to taking off while racing but Not every time I'm at a stop. I have installed several springs from firm to soft. It is difficult to feather the throttle taking off from a complete stop. Has anyone else been experiencing the same problem? I have the rod style not the cable style accelerator.

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
There is a bracket you can buy that changes the ratio of the linkage to the unit, it makes a huge difference in being able to feather in the throttle. I had the same problems on my 65. I'm looking through my amazon history to try and find you a link. The link is here on VMF somewhere too, but I've not found it yet either.

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
To be clear, the progressive linkage is different than the bracket that changes the ratio. I think using them together would provide best results.

·
Registered
592 Posts
I had the same / similar problem right after I got it setup on the 408. My first drive was...exciting in that I could hardly get the sucker moving without burning the tires out of it.

I installed the fully adjustable version of this: https://www.efisystempro.com/sniper-efi-progressive-linkage-kit
Takes about 10 minutes to install and another 20-30 to get it where you want it.

I have it set to open the secondarys at 13% (about as low as this can be set) and it has made a world of difference. I can easily get the thing moving without ripping the tires and it sits right in the pocket for cruising. When i want power, it's there when I'm ready for it.

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
I had the same issue, and resolved it by fabricating a small metal extension that alters the throttle geometry. It works perfectly!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,532 Posts
Dont you have the ability to adjust the throttle tip-in with that EFI system? With MS there is an acceleration enrichment table...I would think that Holley has something similar...its a tuning issue, not a throttle spring issue.(Not to say a different throttle spring setup wont help...just saying that isn't the cause)

·
Registered
688 Posts
Dont you have the ability to adjust the throttle tip-in with that EFI system? With MS there is an acceleration enrichment table...I would think that Holley has something similar...its a tuning issue, not a throttle spring issue.(Not to say a different throttle spring setup wont help...just saying that isn't the cause)
nope, no option to adjust tip in. you can buy a progressive throttle linkage (like cougar70 said above) thats mechanically adjustable to how much throttle % starts to open the second set of butterflys. (you also have to set that manually in the sniper ECU so it knows when it happens)

you can see mine in action here
https://www.instagram.com/p/BlTQjxNnqr5/

also.. my janky geometry adjustment bracket I made that does what ajzride was talking about

·
Registered
889 Posts
The progressive linkage is a PITA and requires some tuning. I'd go with an extension on the throttle actuator.

The longer arms on the throttle actuator help modulate as they increase the travel. I've got one that someone laser cut for me. Works great. Holley also makes one.

·
Registered
1,532 Posts
nope, no option to adjust tip in. you can buy a progressive throttle linkage (like cougar70 said above) thats mechanically adjustable to how much throttle % starts to open the second set of butterflys. (you also have to set that manually in the sniper ECU so it knows when it happens)

you can see mine in action here
https://www.instagram.com/p/BlTQjxNnqr5/

also.. my janky geometry adjustment bracket I made that does what ajzride was talking about
That has decided me against ever using any Holley EFI product...an acceleration enrichment table(at the least) is pretty basic standalone ECU feature. MS(even the now-ancient MS1) actually has both the table and a accel enrichment wizard to help you nail down both light throttle, WOT and everything between...so does AEM(and I presume most others). Its also the whole point of the throttle position sensor...which I assume Holley has?(though it would make sense if they didn't and were tuning off of Alpha-N instead)

·
Registered
688 Posts
That has decided me against ever using any Holley EFI product...an acceleration enrichment table(at the least) is pretty basic standalone ECU feature. MS(even the now-ancient MS1) actually has both the table and a accel enrichment wizard to help you nail down both light throttle, WOT and everything between...so does AEM(and I presume most others). Its also the whole point of the throttle position sensor...which I assume Holley has?(though it would make sense if they didn't and were tuning off of Alpha-N instead)
sorry i misspoke - there is an Acceleration Enrichment table you can tune. I miss-read your post and thought you were talking about a mechanical adjustment.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts