Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I thought I was on a roll and would have my engine back together within a couple of weeks. Heads are done. Block bored 0.040, new pistons fitted, new cam bearings installed, crank ground 10-10, main bearing clearance checked out but rod clearances don't. Unfortunately I had the crank ground about 40 years ago so I can't go back to them. I'm measuring 0.0005" clearance and a little less on a couple. Id rather have 0.001. I took the crank in to a shop near me and asked to polish maybe up to 0.001 off but they say they can't. Afraid they will get out of round and can't grind that small amount off. So how do I fix this? Shop wants $400 to take the cast crank down to 10-20. Isn't there something I could do to get the clearance I desire? Does anyone know of a bearing source that might have -0.009 inserts, -0.011 are available but that's in the wrong direction for me? Nothing special on this rebuild, just street use.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I guess I don't see how that would work. You mean take a -0.002 half shell and a -0.010 as the other half? I'd think that would get pretty loose in the 6 and 12 o'clock direction. Maybe I'm missing something.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have a 302 crank and rods. I think that crank is standard. I'll take a look at it. Is a new $200 Summit Racing crank a good value for stock/street use?

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
I used FleetPride quite some time ago when I need a crank for a 351W. They have locations all over the place. Take your crank in as a core and they'll get you a freshly ground one along with main and rod bearings. Reasonably priced as well.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts