Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ohhh so closer to completing my I6 to V8 conversion on my 66. Just installed the radiator, does it matter which trans cooling line goes to the radiator? What is the correct orientation? Curved line to the left port (sitting in the car looking forward) and the straight line going to the right port (sitting in the car looking forward) on the bottom of the radiator.

·
Registered
324 Posts
I wouldn't run them thru the radiator - just my opinion - I have a separate cooler in front of the radiator - I know for sure the tranny fluid cools better and faster. Your installation will be neater than mine but to each his own.

·
Premium Member
6,105 Posts
OE is thru the cooler made in the lower rad
15800918686602370658935351239944.jpg
tank, of course. You could add an additional cooler if you'd like. Heat is the main obstacle to auto transmissions.

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
myfirstcar66, your pic has everything that I need and matches the pics that I see on the internet. The line with the "s" curve in it, mounts to the lower right radiator trans cooler port (sitting in the car looking forward) and the line with has a 90 degree bend and is straight in, mounts to the lower left radiator cooler port.

For now, sticking with the stock style cooling for the C4 through the radiator. However, I did install a B&M deep transmission pan with cooling fins on it. It should be fine, she is a garage queen that only comes out in good weather and is a spirited driver at most.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hey guys I’m new to this forum and working on a classic mustang question I have a 65 mustang and a 70 302 with a c4 that is out of a fairlane for the trans I’m running into the connections at the radiator the line is 5/16 I got that but the holes on the radiator is three times as small how would I fix these issue?
Another question with running a 302 from a 70 should I have gotten a radiator that fits the car or the engine or does it matter

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
They make fittings for that. You thread the brass fitting into the radiator and then connect the transmission line to the fitting.

Not saying that these are the ones you need, but they generally look something like this:

You might be able to pick them up at your local parts store or maybe even a hardware store if you can figure out the sizes.

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
[email protected] this is what I am using, bought it at CJPP and fits perfect, p/n HW1748. The male end screws into the radiator (the smaller hole as you stated), and the female end accepts the transmission cooling line and its male fitting (which is larger than the hole in the radiator). Mine, I wouldn't say the transmission line male fitting is 3X larger, but yes...quite a bit larger than the radiator port for the line.

As for the your radiator, get one for the car (65) with a 289 and you will be fine with the 70 302 block. As for the radiator you choose, lots of options there. Do a thread search.....I am stock period correct type person, just installed a US Radiator brass/copper 2 row in my 66 with the 289. Others what better cooling than stock, and will go 3 row radiators, fans with more blades and or a clutch. You will have to do your homework to get the right fan spacer to keep the most efficient fan/radiator gap. While my car did not come with a fan shroud, I did install a 66 style fan shroud to cool the engine a bit better. Again, many options, just do your homework to get it correct.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts