Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!
  • May's Ride of the Month contest ended with a tie! Go to this thread to vote on the winner! VOTE HERE

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 66 Coupe which has always been in CA thus is was delivered from the factory with the CA closed emissions system. Since the system has been disconnected for many years I would like to remove it. Seems straight forward enough except for the 'plumbing' part which appears to run into the exhaust manifolds on each side. There doesn't appear to be a way to cap these off or preferrably remove them? What are the options here, has anyone removed one of these systems. Although it's not an appealing option can they be left open? Cross connected to each other?

·
Registered
6,807 Posts
You should be able to purchase farells (S?) that replace each of the indiviual ports that connect to the head over each exhaust port. Someone will surely supply the FOrd part number ... don't have it handy

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Jeff. I see the nut and ferrule part listed from www.cal-mustang.com (#9B471)for $24.95 ea. I assume I will need eight of these? Ouch.. Might have been cheaper to rebuild the smog pump and keep the system intact.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Actually now that I look a little closer it looks like these ferrules are intended for the smog air injector tubes to run through into the head. I would need a version which is capped off I assume. Anyone have experience with this particular situation? Thanks

·
Registered
163 Posts
Ford made a special plug that looks like the air injection ferrule, but is solid. When my California car's engine was rebuilt by my Dad in the late 70's (in Washington State), we were able to get the correct plugs from the local Ford dealer. That was a long time ago, though. The machine shop originally put in some cheap brass threaded plugs - they seemed to work, but were frowned upon by the Ford guys.

You may want to contact one of the Mustang places here in California (like Mustangs Etc in Van Nuys, or Mustang Service Center in North Hollywood - both good shops). Now that the older Mustangs are exempt from smog inspections, I imagine a lot of people are removing their thermactor systems. They might be able to point you in the right direction.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks Much. Mustang Service Center had them in stock. Now I just need to figure out how to get the old ones out, hopefully without pulling the whole motor.

Thanks again

1 - 6 of 6 Posts