Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I searched on this forum and couldn’t find much information about the correct shade of blue for a 289 in a 66 Mustang. I’ve read the Mustang Monthly article on engine colors, but I’m still confused. I wanted to use spray cans, and I’ve heard about the Duplicolor engine paint, the old ford blue color is too light and the dark ford blue is too dark. I thought I also heard that the corporate blue color made by Plasticote is about right. What is the best way to get the right color for the 66?

Thanks
Mark

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Can the be purchased online somewhere? I'm having trouble finding this at autoparts stores.

Thanks
Mark

·
Registered
665 Posts
Yes, Carquest, and they are about the only ones any more. Getting pretty hard to find. Plasti Kote will sell to you direct though, and ship it to you. Not sure what this costs, but if you were buying a case it might be OK.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Yea, I know this problem. Most of the spray cans deliver a too bright or too glossy finish. So I had cut a dented 289 valve cover into pieces an had it analyzed in a paint lab. They came up with a color very very near to the original paint, RAL 5003 Sapphire Blue.

After mixing it with some flattener I got the finish I was after. I like the little fogged/orange peel surface!!!!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts