Vintage Mustang Forums banner

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,279 Posts
... And most SBF heads need some grinding and shaping in the exhaust anyways. LSG
...and doesn't hurt to have a cam with a better exhaust profile and some 2 inch or 2 &1/4 inch pipes behind it all...

·
Registered
5,349 Posts
Did we hear how cheap is cheap? edit: I see $75 now.

If someone then wants bigger valves, either 351 or Chevy or whatever, will they be able to readily get the shorter valve to keep the non-rail rockers? I like the short valve covers.

·
Registered
9,199 Posts
My 68 289 2 V carb has the stock heads on it which are the worst 289 head you can get.
Would it be worth the trouble to install a set of 66 2v heads on it ? Found a set local that are pretty cheap
GC
Worth doing. I did that on my '68 C-code before upgrading to Edelbrock aluminum heads & their gen 1 EFI.
As others have stated, the stocker 65/66 heads would net you a CR difference and that alone is worthwhile.
I ran some wickedly modded 65 factory heads (roughly a C6FE head in flow) and the difference was
significant..... very much like an out-of-the-box unported Edelbrock head.

Reactions: QuietChris

·
Registered
849 Posts
@GT289 who did the porting? I understand that you have been involved with some pretty heavy players when I comes to vintage racing of mustangs and small block Fords. Anyone can port match and remove the thermactor bumps. But your average guy can't port a set of heads to flow as good as those Edelbrocks. Like @1ofAMillion+ said how cheap is cheap. Sure $75 now. But what is the end cost going to be. If you just want a small bump in performance and are staying mostly stock, these heads if they are in good shape will probably work. But if you really want to bump up power from them it requires a lot more work and money.

·
Registered
9,199 Posts
@GT289 who did the porting? I understand that you have been involved with some pretty heavy players when I comes to vintage racing of mustangs and small block Fords. Anyone can port match and remove the thermactor bumps. But your average guy can't port a set of heads to flow as good as those Edelbrocks. Like @1ofAMillion+ said how cheap is cheap. Sure $75 now. But what is the end cost going to be. If you just want a small bump in performance and are staying mostly stock, these heads if they are in good shape will probably work. But if you really want to bump up power from them it requires a lot more work and money.
Tommy Hernandez did them purely as a favor because these days he's a FedEx exec but back in the 70s/80s he was the cylinder head guy for Dallas Motorsports, which was
a privateer Ferrari team. Tommy knows a thing or two about heads....
Those heads he did for me were stupid expensive, even at the good guy price. (I'd be embarrassed to say how much) They are, however, pretty damn good. They would still be on
my '68 but the Victor Jr intake that Edelbrock uses with their FI setup doesn't seal well (coolant) in the corners of the original style heads and prefers the additional "meat" on the aftermarket aluminum heads. (Valley Head did the porting on the aluminum heads)

Reactions: QuietChris

·
Premium Member
4,279 Posts
I had some mild porting and matching done to my 66 non-TE heads by some retired NASCAR mechanic near Talladega / Anniston with my rebuild back in 1993, and coupled with a better cam exhaust profile the engine woke up, even with the 2 barrel carb and stock intake on it. Then I started playing with that stuff and down the rabbit hole I went...

21 - 26 of 26 Posts