Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The transmission is a C4 (3speed). I can not get the car to downshift for passing as it is supposed to do.

#1 As the car is right now the position of the kickdown mechnaism on the transmission is in the forward direction, I can move the mechanism toward the rear of the car and it springs back forward. Is this correct?

#2 Should there be an additional spring located on the outside of the transmission to hold the lever to the rear? I have a service manual and the pic looks to show a return spring?

#3 The throttle pedal show to be adjusted correctly, but the throttle rod travels all the way to the firewall with wide open throttle. Could it have the wrong rod on the car? PO had installed a Holley 2barrel on the car and I replaced it with a 2100.

Any suggestion would be appreciated or pics to aid in the correct operation of the kickdown operation!!

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
mdewberry said:
The transmission is a C4 (3speed). I can not get the car to downshift for passing as it is supposed to do.

Any suggestion would be appreciated or pics to aid in the correct operation of the kickdown operation!!
I had a similar problem with an FMX. I was determined to fix the linkage to enable the downshifting. Turned out to be the governor valve under the tailhousing. The spool inside the governor had been turned around 180 deg. I spent a LONG time on that issue.

John

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So if I understand correctly, the actual lever on the transmission is suppose to be pulled forward at all times? Then how do you engage it? If the gas pedal is all the way to the floor, it would pull the lever, in theory. It can't. Would turning the spool cause the lever to spring in the opposite direction?

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Here is a picture of my perfect working kick down mechanism. The lever is backwards like it should be. There is no additional spring connected to my lever because the internal force is strong enough to keep the lever in the backward position.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My lever is pointing down, could this be the problem? How hard is it to rotate it the 180 degrees? I don't remember it working with the other carb either. Should the lever rest to the rear and pull forward when activated?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts