Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 66 with a 289. It's been sitting for over 15 years. After changing the oil, filling the oil filter,

can I remove the distributor (which the oil pump shaft generally comes out with it, and get another oil pump shaft from the local auto parts store, connect it to a drill and spin up the oil pump?

Or it seems that I need to get a longer oil pump shaft to do that?

I'll have the valve covers off to see if the oil flows, then I've read that I need to rotate the crank to make sure I get oil in the other areas.

thanks.

·
Premium Member
9,944 Posts
The oil pump drive shaft will not come out with the distributor if the retaining lock is installed on it properly.

Get a 1/4" six point deep socket, either 1/4" drive or 3/8" drive, your choice but 1/4" works better. Chuck a 6" long extension into your drill, put the socket on and flip the switch to R. Put the socket on the pump drive and go at it. You will know when you are pumping oil because the pump will pull down the drill noticeably.

·
Registered
10,083 Posts
The oil pump drive shaft will not come out with the distributor if the retaining lock is installed on it properly.

Get a 1/4" six point deep socket, either 1/4" drive or 3/8" drive, your choice but 1/4" works better. Chuck a 6" long extension into your drill, put the socket on and flip the switch to R. Put the socket on the pump drive and go at it. You will know when you are pumping oil because the pump will pull down the drill noticeably.
Unless it had a HV oil pump and the shaft wedged it's self into the oil pump socket making removing the distributor a PITA because you have to break the retainer while using the distributor as a slide hammer. But yeah you'll want to prime that engine before you fire it, good luck

·
Registered
9,129 Posts

... or broken, or the shaft is stuck into the bottom of the dizzy by sludge. We've all seen the posts of "what was that noise?" of someone having the pump shaft drop into the pan.

IMO - disconnect the coil, turn the motor over with the starter in five second bursts until you see oil coming out of the rockers, then button it up and reconnect the coil.

·
Registered
352 Posts
You can buy a tool to prime the oil pump make sure you run the drill in Reverse. If you go with the 6 point socket trick make sure you tape the socket on good so it don't come off.
Yes take the valve covers off so you can see the oil at all the rockers and it also can't hurt to turn the motor over by hand while you are prime the motor.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts