Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
66, will a 289 with a stock style water pump, HiPo 4 blade fan and HiPo spacer fit with a 3 row radiator (US Radiator, period correct brass/copper style) without any modifications (shortening) to the spacer?

What is the distance range, should the fan be from the radiator? I am being told by NPD 1/2" to an 1", with an inch optimal.

Still waiting on my 2 row radiator from US Radiator with no delivery/completion date from the factory. Starting to get a little frustrated with them.

·
Registered
193 Posts
I recently went from a 2 row radiator to a 3 row radiator and from a stock 4 blade fan to a stock (1966) 5 blade fan on my 65 A-code car....I ended up buying a shorter spacer from Scott Drake and it gave me that 1" clearance I was looking for. If you use a fan shroud, the fan should be 1/2 in and 1/2 out of the shroud. If you don't use a shroud, I think that the 1" space from the fan to the radiator sounds correct. If you are staying with a 2 row radiator, which was original, your original spacer, which is over 2" I believe, should be correct. You would only need a new, shorter spacer if you went to a larger radiator, or added a shroud.

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
sishac,

Thanks for the quick reply..........after bugging US Radiator for about 2 weeks, I finally got a ship date on my origional style two row, brass/copper radiator. It should ship Tuesday :) !!!!

Yes, going with a shroud, so hopefully with the stock style everyting (radiator, HiPo fan, HiPo spacer, water pump, and 289 built to similar HiPo specs, I should be ok.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Hi Fly2xs

Was wondering if you had an update on your US Radiator radiator. I'm looking for one as well and it seems that radiator prices have gone up quite a bit in the last couple of years. Based on your description, I'm guessing you got this one which currently lists for $676... Yikes! And the Canadian made Spectra Premium found referenced on this site doesn't seem to be made any longer. @Woodchuck I see you mentioned them, can you confirm availability?

Thanks,
Eric Q.

·
Registered
1966 289 2V Coupe FMX Transmission 9-inch Axle
134 Posts
Adjust fan distance to radiator with spacers. Try to stay away from multiple spacers. If you need 2" get a 2" spacer, not 2 1" spacers. Get your fan diameter as large as possible. Fan shroud I believe is 18" diameter, get a 17.25 fan. Space fan about 1" from radiator, but more important fan should be half in/out position in the shroud.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts