Vintage Mustang Forums banner

66 289 rebuild wont turn over?????

6K views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  tooponies 
#1 ·
First time start of new rebuild, replaced starter solenoid and still cant get power to starter. When I turn the key I can hear the voltage regulator clicking, but nothing happens, if I cross points on solenoid it does turn over. Wiring is correct based off of original Ford diagrams. All electrical working ie, lights, horn, turn signals. Any advice would be much appreciated.

#3 ·
umm i am trying to think iff all of those test like the lights and such work only with key in and in the on possition i believe it is like that. so that means that their is voltage going to your acc but their is no voltage going to the starter = starter wire problem or starter problem or ground problem did you put ground wire on the block?

#6 ·
The starter has this big magnetic, mechanical arm contraption that engages the bendix and completes the electrical circuit at the starter. It's inside that big cover on the side of the starter.

Mine was tight and wouldn't work freely so no current could ever get to the starter motor.
Cleaned it up with brake cleaner and drove a screwdriver in between the arms loosening it up. Then it worked fine.

#7 ·
If it cranks when you cross the points on the solenoid you can rule out the battery and the starter. I had that problem once when the nut holding the wire connected to the back of the ignition switch was loose. It would just click the solenoid. If you just want to start the engine you could "remote" start it by connecting a wire from the positive on the battery to the positive on the coil then cross the points on the solenoid. Be prepared to pull the wire you connected the positive on the battery if the engine doesn't sound right.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.