Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1966 mustang coupe
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, i could get this toploader kit for under 1k usd locally.

I would like to have some advice if i should jump on it or just pass.

The trans was originally for a 390 but has been rebuild and converted to the small block input shaft, its a close ratio unfortunately.

It comes with everything in the picture, including D1TA-6394-AA bellhousing and c5ae-6380-e flywheel.

Yokes are not included and not for this car.

Looks like it would fit on my 289, but i dont know if the mechanical linkage would clear with my Borgeson power steering and my power brakes.

Let me know what you think.

Thanks guys :)

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Make sure the flywheel is for early engines with 28oz balance.

Bellcrank doesn't look correct. 1 of those is a 6 cyl bellcrank cut in 2

Add a pilot bushing, put the plug in the transmission drain hole and fill it with 2.5 qts of 80w90 gear oil (iirc) and install it.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
36,712 Posts
Bellcrank looks correct for a '65-66 and it WON'T clear your Borgeson unit... it'll actually hit the lines. Borgeson has their own "compatible" Z-bar or you can "slice and dice" that one to move the upper arm over toward the engine. That's also a 164-tooth bellhousing and flywheel so you're going to need a new starter, too.

·
Registered
1966 mustang coupe
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Bellcrank looks correct for a '65-66 and it WON'T clear your Borgeson unit... it'll actually hit the lines. Borgeson has their own "compatible" Z-bar or you can "slice and dice" that one to move the upper arm over toward the engine. That's also a 164-tooth bellhousing and flywheel so you're going to need a new starter, too.
I took your advice and went for a PMGR starter from a 5.0 mustang. I think it works for both 157 and 164 tooth....

·
Registered
36,712 Posts
I took your advice and went for a PMGR starter from a 5.0 mustang. I think it works for both 157 and 164 tooth....
It'll work for a 164-tooth FLEXPLATE but not a manual transmission flywheel.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Make sure the flywheel matches the bell housing. The only starter that matches a 157 tooth flywheel in a 164 tooth bell housing is butchery. Here's an example:
IMG_20201114_161651253.jpg

·
Registered
21,160 Posts
I'd pass. The close ratio will be miserable with the 289 unless you have something like 3.89 gears. Maybe 3.50's. the 164 tooth flwheel is close to 20 pounds heavier then the 157 tooth flwheel. That means the engine will be slower to rev.

·
Registered
5,526 Posts
That shifter doesn’t look like any mustang shifter I have ever seen. Hard to be sure tough with the rubber boot on it. Make sure all the parts are correct before you buy or you may be ending up spending a lot more to make it right. Was it really rebuilt or was just the input shaft changed.

·
Premium Member
11,108 Posts
that looks like a 27" toploader. whats the casting number on the tail housing ? you could also measure from the front mating surface to the tip of the tail(not the ouput shaft). 24" is mustang , 27" is torino, galaxie, full size ford.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts