Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello forum members,

Looking for engine bays pics on a concours level 1966 200 cu. inch 6 cylinder - been working on that area of my car this winter and would like to have a good visual reference. Thank you. Al

·
Registered
108 Posts
Al:

Here are 2 from my 1966 Sprint. The car is a multiple Concours Gold winner in MCA. There is also a good engine bay pic of my car in the January 2010 issue of Mustang Magazine.

Hope this helps.

Kevin

Attachments

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
engine bay pics

Hello Kevin,

Thank you for posting the pics - beautiful car.
Seems like everyone wants a big v8 in the mustangs - it's nice to see someone take pride in the 6 cylinder.

When you were restoring your sprint what reference material did you refer to in order to get the finishes/colors correct? Posted a pic of my engine bay - working on removing some dried up unddercoating crud on the engine firewall and will repaint in the original color. Thank you for taking the time to share your advice.

Al

Attachments

·
Registered
9,022 Posts
Kevin, Have you e-mailed me yet. If not, We need to get your car into the 1966 Sprint 200 Registry. E-mail me at: [email protected]

George, Also e-mail me for more engine pics.

Thanks,

Tony K.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Hello Kevin,

When you were restoring your sprint what reference material did you refer to in order to get the finishes/colors correct? Posted a pic of my engine bay - working on removing some dried up unddercoating crud on the engine firewall and will repaint in the original color. Thank you for taking the time to share your advice.

Al

Al:

Once I decided on a concours level restoration, I used several sources to gain knowledge on detailing the engine bay.

I used the MCA judging book for a great deal of information. I also went to some local Mustang shows and took some pics. I had a gentleman near me with a concourse restored six cyl in it that I used as a reference. In 2000, I attended the MCA Grand National Show in Raleigh-Durham NC. At that show, there was an unrestored 66 Sprint with 6000 miles on it that I used as an additioinal reference.

Tony...I have not sent you my info yet. Do you need basic info (VIN, data plate info) or more detail info.

Kevin

·
Registered
108 Posts
Kevin,

I'd be interested in seeing any photos you took of that 6000 mile Sprint for when I get around to restoring mine. You can email them to:
[email protected]

Thanks,

Pete:

I'll have to see what I can find. I believe that was before my digital camera days.

The car was Sierra Beige and owned by a man out of Cincinnati. He had purchased it from Bob Perkins. He had a large collection of vintage Ford accessories also displayed with the car. I remember a child seat and a Philco plug-in TV. Definately a unique display.

Kevin

·
Registered
9,022 Posts

·
Registered
637 Posts
Sorry to hijack, but my '66 has that same chrome air cleaner. I've always wondered if it was a Sprint. It's a 200ci with a C4, coupe with a vinyl roof. Are there any other ways to identify a Sprint?

·
Registered
108 Posts
Sorry to hijack, but my '66 has that same chrome air cleaner. I've always wondered if it was a Sprint. It's a 200ci with a C4, coupe with a vinyl roof. Are there any other ways to identify a Sprint?

Chrome air cleaner, wire wheel covers, center console, rear quarter panel ornament delete, and painted pin stripe were all included in the Sprint package.

Kevin

·
Registered
637 Posts
We may have a winner then...I had the wire covers w/spinners (stored now), car has a console, no rear quarter panel ornament, and did have a c-stripe under the paint.

Are they particularly rare or valuable?

·
Registered
108 Posts
We may have a winner then...I had the wire covers w/spinners (stored now), car has a console, no rear quarter panel ornament, and did have a c-stripe under the paint.

Are they particularly rare or valuable?

I have never seen an estimate as to how many were built. As you may already know, Ford destroyed the production records for 1966 and earlier cars, so we will never know how many were built.

I would not consider them "rare" in the true sense of the word, but they are definately more scarce than a regular 6 cyl. We have one other Sprint in our regional Mustang club. Over the years, I have seen 8 - 10 other '66 Sprints.

As to value, price guides don't break down a "premium" for the Sprint package. I guess I feel if two identical '66 6cyl cars were for sale, the Sprint may bring a few dollares more, but not a significant price difference.

I'm like you in not knowing about the package when I bought the car. It was only after buying it that I began to learn about the package.

Sounds like yours has all the right equipment to be a Sprint.

Kevin

·
Registered
637 Posts
KevinR - thank you for the info! That's one beautiful car you have there!

I'm going to return to the 66 in a few years. Right now I've got it stored with a cover on it, waiting for my boy to get a little older so we can work on it together. I'd planned to yank the six and make a fun car out of it but maybe I should keep it original...Hmm.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Thanks for the link Tony. Detailed pictures would be a real plus if you have them Kevin.

And welcome to the Sprint owners group ATaylor. Sprints get more valuable by the day. Seems someone is always converting these 6-cylinders. Soon they'll be more valuable by simple attrition.

Tony has the registry numbers. But if I had to guess only about a couple of hundred can be accounted for in this manner. Sprint production began at all three assembly plants about January of 1966 and lasted through the end of the model year. I'm sure regular 6-cylinders were produced at this time as well.

Of the 607,568 units produced in 1966 one third of them are estimated to be 6-cylinders or about 200,000. Assuming production before Jan. 1st and after Jan. 1st were equal, then roughly 100,000 6-cylinders were built in the second half of the year. If 25% of these were Sprints (purely speculation here), then we're talking about roughly 25,000 cars. For comparison sake, there were an estimated 25,517 GT Equipped cars produced in 1966.

·
Registered
637 Posts
Here's a little info on my (Sprint?) car:

Warranty Number: 6T07T261262

Year: 6 1966
Plant: T Metuchen, NJ
Body Series: 07 2 Door Hardtop
Engine: T 200 1v I6
Unit: 261262 261262

Miscellaneous Vehicle Data

Body: 65A 2 Door Hardtop, Standard Interior
Color: M Wimbledon White
Trim: 26 Black Crinkle Vinyl and Black Rosette Vinyl, Standard Interior
Date: 10E May 10, 1966
D.S.O: 22 Charlotte

The car has a C4 with console. It's been repainted several times, white, then green, then blue, then red, but I do remember seeing the C-stripe underneath the paint. Unfortunately I can't recall what color the c-stripe was...I think black?

It had wire spinner hubcaps. The circular center cap had triangular red-white-blue pattern. No idea if that was original to the car. I do have some polaroids I could scan of the car as it appeared in the late 80's.

Attachments

·
Registered
48 Posts
My Metuchen Sprint has a scheduled build date of 10E, too! 6T08T258453
Buck Tag has an actual build date of F21 (June 21st).

Preliminary data indicates that there were a higher percentage of white Sprints produced than the percentage of 1966 Mustangs in general.

·
Registered
9,022 Posts
Need to see pics of your chrome oil cap... This has really been an issue lately.. For 10 years, I have seen nothing but Original painted black oil caps which is fully correct, and within 1 week, I have found two cars with "supposed" chrome oil caps. Please take a close-up pic of the top of your chrome oil cap please, and post it here.

Thanks,

Tony K.

·
Registered
637 Posts
Need to see pics of your chrome oil cap... This has really been an issue lately.. For 10 years, I have seen nothing but Original painted black oil caps which is fully correct, and within 1 week, I have found two cars with "supposed" chrome oil caps. Please take a close-up pic of the top of your chrome oil cap please, and post it here.

Thanks,

Tony K.
Nah, that's a repro oil cap. I put that on years ago to match the air cleaner. The engine isn't original either, though the carb and air cleaner are.

·
Registered
9,022 Posts
Yeah, I kinda figured that Chrome oil cap was not original seeing as how no one true Original Sprint 200 has turned up with one yet.(All were black, just like non-sprint 200 cars.)...and that valve cover is like a '68-'71 valve cover with the "Powered by Ford" logo on it.

Tony K.

·
Registered
637 Posts
My Metuchen Sprint has a scheduled build date of 10E, too! 6T08T258453
Buck Tag has an actual build date of F21 (June 21st).

Preliminary data indicates that there were a higher percentage of white Sprints produced than the percentage of 1966 Mustangs in general.
Here is a pic of mine...trying to decode it:

D 362 - rotation #
10 - welding bay
E9 - build date (May 9th?)
VIN # (matches apron)
65A - coupe
M - Wimbledon White
26 - black vinyl interior
Vinyl Top-2 - vinyl top with 2(? guessing this is color or grain of top ?)

How do two cars have the same scheduled build date and end up getting assembled more than a month apart?

Attachments

1 - 20 of 23 Posts