Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well folks, I finally did it. A few weeks ago I posted questions about purchasing my first 'stang, a '66 High Country Special. I bit the bullet last week and have been having a lot of fun ever since....!!

Now the fun begins. The car is in original condition and will need a few fixes here and there, but it is surprisingly clean and in really good condition. (Can you tell I'm a little bit like the kid with the new bike on the block??:)

OK, so 2 initial questions:

1. The seller had a set of OK condition SS wheels from a '67 with 60%+ tires which I bought with the car. However, he said that he only had '66 trim rings, which aren't quite deep enough for the '67 SS wheels. Basically, with the trim rings on the wheels, you can see 3/4" or so of the "non-chromed" part of the wheel. I've been trying to find '67-specific trim rings, but the catalogs I have don't seem to distinguish between '66 and '67 trim rings. What give?? Enlighten me please....

2. There is virtually no rust on the car, but I did notice under the trunk cover on the left rear side, a bit of rust around what appears to be some sort of rubber drain plug. I'm assuming this plug (or whatever the "real" name for it is) has become fouled or plugged up and does not drain any water which may enter the trunk. The right side is completely free of rust. So, am I going down the right path here? What would you call this thing so that I can look for a replacement in the catalogs..???

That's it for now. I look forward to many years of fun with this new (to me!!) car.... I'll post a pic when I get a chance.

Thanks,

Bruce

·
Registered
90 Posts
Hi Bruce,
I think the catalogs call those body plugs. You can buy an entire set from one of the parts houses for 20-25 bucks. I'd recommend changing them all because they get hard and brittle. I have the same problem with my truck, but I think its coming from water leaking in the back of the convertible top. How is your trunk weatherstrip?
Sorry, no help on the trim rings...
Brian

·
Registered
2,374 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hey Brian,

The trunk weatherstripping actually looks pretty good. What's weird was that the trunk mat was not wet....I only noticed the water when I pulled the mat up. That's what makes me think it's coming from below, not above....

Thanks again,

Bruce

·
Registered
293 Posts
I would take it to the local car wash and try to get water in the trunk. If you find water in the trunk then you know it is coming from the top too. I havn't studied the underside of the trunk area much, but I would think that it would be odd that water would come up from the bottom of the car. Unless, the area around the wheel well is rusted out. Mine leaks and a little weatherstriping wont fix it. Atleast not yet. Good luck

1 - 5 of 5 Posts