Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I put a collapsible/tilt ididit steering column for a 1968 Mustang in my 66, will the 66 wheel bolt on their or are they different? I realize there are differences with the horn wiring and such but I need to know if the early wheel will physically go onto the later column? I don't have one to try.

·
Premium Member
6,376 Posts
Pretty sure it depends on which style of Ididit Column you have. The Ford style column probably yes, the GM style column possibly no. Just call Ididit and ask. (517) 424-0577. Many opt for the GM style for classic mustangs because the aftermarket steering wheel options are much greater.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's definitely a Ford column, direct replacement deal. I figured I'd ask here first because more often that not manufacturers have no idea about putting parts where they don't necessarily belong, swapping years etc.

·
Premium Member
12,033 Posts
Every Ford steering column I've dealt with had the same spline count and thread size on the upper end where the steering wheel goes. However the outer diameter of the wheel hub and the outer diameter of the steering column tube are different depending upon the vehicle. So theoretically your '65 wheel should fit on the '68 column but it may not match up with the tube.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts