Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

901 - 920 of 992 Posts

·
Registered
6,583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #901 ·
Al, don't put the hood latch on just yet. Loosen the 4 bolts on the hood just enough so they you can lower it down slowly. Then tweak it to where you want it. Get your edges lined up with the sides of your cowl. Then raise it carefully and snug the 2 rear bolts. Lower the hood again to make sure it's where you want it to be. If it's good snug all 4 bolts. If not then try again, you'll get it if you're patient. Then work on the fenders for final fit.
Thanks Brian, will do.

Allen

·
Registered
6,583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #903 ·
Np Al. I just raise it enough to get at the bolts. That way there's less of a tendency to move on ya. Btw, it's lookin good.
$5,500 on the paint. I should have spent $10,000. I'm going to live with it. Wish you were closer, I'd pay you...

Allen

·
Registered
1965 2+2 Vintage Burgundy A-code C4
4,351 Posts
Went through my folder of paperwork my meticulous wife has kept, mainly to be able to prove to me I’ve spent over $28k on the car so far. Mind you this includes spark plugs, nuts, bolts, etc. like I said, meticulous. I saw where I paid $1300 for my paint back in 2014. Harder to figure out what the job cost, but I’m sure it was more than I wanted to pay. Reading the late shop owners detailed notes I’m a little amazed at what all they did, floor pans, drivers toe board, some frame rails, rear panels, shock tower, and on and on. Turns out my car is a lot nicer than I knew. I also forgot I dealt with JEGS, Summit, Laurel Mountain, Canadian Mustang, NPD, Sacramento Mustang, CJ Pony, Doug Herbert Racing, Mustang Station, Matt’s Classic and more. Was quite an entertaining read...

Attachments

Reactions: myfirstcar66

·
Registered
6,583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #906 · (Edited)
Went through my folder of paperwork my meticulous wife has kept, mainly to be able to prove to me I’ve spent over $28k on the car so far. Mind you this includes spark plugs, nuts, bolts, etc. like I said, meticulous. I saw where I paid $1300 for my paint back in 2014. Harder to figure out what the job cost, but I’m sure it was more than I wanted to pay. Reading the late shop owners detailed notes I’m a little amazed at what all they did, floor pans, drivers toe board, some frame rails, rear panels, shock tower, and on and on. Turns out my car is a lot nicer than I knew. I also forgot I dealt with JEGS, Summit, Laurel Mountain, Canadian Mustang, NPD, Sacramento Mustang, CJ Pony, Doug Herbert Racing, Mustang Station, Matt’s Classic and more. Was quite an entertaining read...
Yeah, I've got a folder also...

$1,300 for paint? So that didn't include any bodywork, right? I can see just getting it sprayed for that.

Allen

·
Registered
4,351 Posts
No bodywork in that, just paint. Prep was all mixed up in under coat, sandblasting, etc. I could go in and decode it and get close. Rear end and other stuff all mixed in together.

·
Registered
6,583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #909 ·
My little setback is the headlight extensions. Unbeknownst to me, both of them are broken (the top piece where the bolt goes closest to the hood). I got those ordered this morning from NPD. Patrick has the ACP ones that I ordered and he said fit was not an issue on his. I'll have to paint them of course, then I can carry on with the assembly.

I'm ready to "finish" this car...

Allen

·
Registered
4,351 Posts
Used one of those on mine, no issues.

Reactions: Turnall

·
Registered
6,583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #911 ·
20210405_184432.jpg
20210405_184503.jpg

Got the bumper installed again. I had purchased new brackets (it's just bumper brackets, they can stamp them correct), and the passenger side main bumper bracket hole for the bumper bolt was to far to the rear. The brackets would hit the bumper and not allow you to get the bolt in the hole because of the mis-stamp. I cleaned up the original and repainted it. It all went together fairly easy from there.

Got a shipment ready notification from NPD/UPS so I should have those I'm guessing Wednesday (hasn't updated on the delivery date yet.

Back to the bumper, do you guys install the fender brackets? I don't recall having any on either of 66's so I didn't even realize I didn't have them until this evening...

I bet they will be a pain to install now.

Allen

·
Registered
4,351 Posts
Looking good, keep pictures coming, I’m in a similar place with mine currently.

·
Premium Member
6,124 Posts
@Turnall , I had bumper brackets on my 66 but they had been painted over rather than removed for the respray by a PO. I took them off and find it a lot easier to wash and clean the area between the bumper and fender without them, but the weight of the bumper actually makes it droop/tilt down a hair at the corners without them. Not very noticeable. I just never ordered more brackets, but I probably will when I paint the car again, and install them with a bit of vinyl or rubber as a cushion backing against the new paint. My son's 66 still has brackets on it.
Your car looks WONDERFUL.

Reactions: Turnall

·
Premium Member
1966 Mustang Hardtop 289 4 Speed
6,681 Posts
I used both ACP headlight buckets, fit was not bad at all. That color sure sparkles. Looking better everyday. I also didn't bolt the bumper to the fender yet. Mine appears to be pretty solid without it. I just put the bolt in the hole. My wife told me my Centerforce clutch kit arrived so I'm looking forward to getting home and getting the car out of storage. Also going to install SD 620 coils.

·
Registered
6,583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #918 ·
I used both ACP headlight buckets, fit was not bad at all. That color sure sparkles. Looking better everyday. I also didn't bolt the bumper to the fender yet. Mine appears to be pretty solid without it. I just put the bolt in the hole. My wife told me my Centerforce clutch kit arrived so I'm looking forward to getting home and getting the car out of storage. Also going to install SD 620 coils.
Do you plan on putting in the fender brackets?

Allen

·
Registered
6,583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #920 ·

So the headlight doors were a bit off color wise. I think they got painted 1st and were forgotten about. I decided to paint them with the headlight extensions. Got the pieces back together on the car. The passenger side was a breeze, the drivers side is just not perfect.

Decided to take the afternoon off and not have to try and make something look perfect...(got flack from a fellow VMF member btw)...

Allen

Attachments

901 - 920 of 992 Posts