Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

961 - 980 of 1028 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #961 ·
Didn't know you were in my warehouse this evening or I would have said hello.

I'll check to see what that is. I know I had one that was rough when I was folding it in. The guy in the video cuts them short of wrapping into the front fenders.

That's not a rust bubble but could very well have something on the fender lip...you have me curious...

Allen

·
Premium Member
6,663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #964 ·
They will actually stick better if you cut then just before the edge. I've laid too many rolls of pin stripe to count back in the 80's and 90's. Back then every one wanted them. That Russ has quite the eye for detail.
Just wait until he starts posting pictures! Or does he even have a Mustang? I know I've seen some car that he's been trying to make look like Patrick's but I'm not convinced it's his!

All kidding aside, it's what I'm actually wanting. If you see something wrong, point it out and I'll check it out. This car is not going to be a concours winner, but I'm trying to make it the best it can be...

BTW, could I cut them now and if so, how would you suggest I do it? Razor carefully?

Allen

·
Premium Member
6,399 Posts
I dunno if the 65-66 GT stripes were cut at the edge of the fender well or wrap around but I learned that Shelby did the side stripes ever so differently than the Mach 1 stripes at the ends for some reason. There are so many details out there, so many opinions, so few remaining originals and I admire Al for doing so much to make this one RIGHT.

·
Registered
1965 2+2 Vintage Burgundy A-code C4
4,414 Posts
Just wait until he starts posting pictures! Or does he even have a Mustang? I know I've seen some car that he's been trying to make look like Patrick's but I'm not convinced it's his!

All kidding aside, it's what I'm actually wanting. If you see something wrong, point it out and I'll check it out. This car is not going to be a concours winner, but I'm trying to make it the best it can be...

BTW, could I cut them now and if so, how would you suggest I do it? Razor carefully?

Allen
1st of all, Al is my hero, along with Brian and Pat and on and on. Everyone’s cars are magnitudes better than mine. I would never attempt stripes because I would screw it up so bad it would show up online as the example of what NOT to do.

Yes I have a Mustang. Yes it’s the color of Patrick’s, but it was that color before his. Do I secretly think he tried to emulate me? Only Patrick knows....but I have my suspicions.

I have already dented and scratched my high dollar paint job by trying to piece some of the simpler pieces back together. I will reduce an $8000 paint job to a 20 footer by the time I’m done.

So, there youhave it. Here’s my messy, half finished garage. My daughter bought me the Mustang sign. The fridge is our old side by side from the house. It currently holds beer and a big piece of salmon. I have a new headliner that I had installed that has two lumpy, saggy spots hanging down that I’m a little leery about removing.

That’s about all the true confessions I have for now. Al, you’re doing an awesome job, light years above anything I’ll ever do. Keep up the good work.

oh yeah, one more thing. The front stripe on the drivers side looks a little jacked up, compared to the rest of it and the “Mustang” letters. Barely noticeable, but I did....sorry.

CDA57600-F4D4-4504-AA0A-E771442F4FB3.jpeg
DC51BC06-275E-40EC-9502-76FB7A3FA15C.jpeg
37E9BC7E-92D4-4CC4-A428-88E91DCA7415.jpeg

Attachments

·
Premium Member
6,663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #968 · (Edited)
1st of all, Al is my hero, along with Brian and Pat and on and on. Everyone’s cars are magnitudes better than mine. I would never attempt stripes because I would screw it up so bad it would show up online as the example of what NOT to do.

Yes I have a Mustang. Yes it’s the color of Patrick’s, but it was that color before his. Do I secretly think he tried to emulate me? Only Patrick knows....but I have my suspicions.

I have already dented and scratched my high dollar paint job by trying to piece some of the simpler pieces back together. I will reduce an $8000 paint job to a 20 footer by the time I’m done.

So, there youhave it. Here’s my messy, half finished garage. My daughter bought me the Mustang sign. The fridge is our old side by side from the house. It currently holds beer and a big piece of salmon. I have a new headliner that I had installed that has two lumpy, saggy spots hanging down that I’m a little leery about removing.

That’s about all the true confessions I have for now. Al, you’re doing an awesome job, light years above anything I’ll ever do. Keep up the good work.

oh yeah, one more thing. The front stripe on the drivers side looks a little jacked up, compared to the rest of it and the “Mustang” letters. Barely noticeable, but I did....sorry.

View attachment 790398 View attachment 790399 View attachment 790400
Man you do have good eye. When taking the car apart I marked that side because it had the original fender and I wanted to put the stripes back on just like it came from the factory, you know concours.

Ok, that last sentence is BS. The drivers side front stripes slope downward ever so slightly. TBH, I thought I had both of the front stripes pretty close but nope. I lined up the door stripes and laid them on straight hoping it wouldn't be to noticeable. Again, good eye!!

Now as far as who's car was painted that girl color first, we're going to have to check build dates...

The sign is cool!

Allen

·
Registered
4,414 Posts

View attachment 790398 View attachment 790399 View attachment 790400
PS... I have 3 more bikes down in my barn, which explains why I don't spend as much time working on my Mustang as I should. You can tour my partially finished (like most of my stuff) barn on a future issue of "Yo Russstang Cribs".....

Reactions: myfirstcar66

·
Registered
8,338 Posts
I was just thinking to myself, that guy Russ spends way too much time and money on bikes. No wonder he’ll never drive that car.

I have two people in my house. We have two bikes. Didn’t realize you housed the local marching band.

Mark

·
Premium Member
6,663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #973 ·
20210411_144509.jpg
20210411_143727.jpg

Decided to freshen up the bay a little today. I had taken all the wires off and the distributor hold down and taped everything off to be able to add a fresh coat of paint. The distributor moved on me, no big deal. I put it all back together and put the distributor "close" to where it was. It tried to crank but would stay running. I advanced the timing a little and got it going but it ran VERY rough. I think to myself, sounds like its hitting on about 4 cylinders so I start looking. Well it was. I didn't even pit 5, 6, 7,and 8 wires back on the plugs...geez.

Allen

·
Registered
4,414 Posts
I
View attachment 790456 View attachment 790457

Decided to freshen up the bay a little today. I had taken all the wires off and the distributor hold down and taped everything off to be able to add a fresh coat of paint. The distributor moved on me, no big deal. I put it all back together and put the distributor "close" to where it was. It tried to crank but would stay running. I advanced the timing a little and got it going but it ran VERY rough. I think to myself, sounds like its hitting on about 4 cylinders so I start looking. Well it was. I didn't even pit 5, 6,and 8 wires back on the plugs...geez.

Allen

I've learned (usually the hard, painful way) to back off at this point and hit it another day. Most recently when working myself to the point of exhaustion I have smashed my thumb with a 3 pound hammer and gotten distracted at my brother's house opening his wife's van door and almost breaking my nose because their cats made some noise, causing me to look up and not dodge the upper corner of the door glass.

So, time to fish, work on lake house plans, cook something both delicious and painfully sparse to put in the very center of a plate, or whatever. You'll need all your faculties about you when you start back because you have to straighten that curved Monte Carlo bar and reclock that sticker on the breather. Gotta be sharp!

·
Registered
4,414 Posts
As for bikes, the motto is "N+1". You always need another bike. I have 11, actually some are the wife's. I built all by 2 of them myself. If my car skills matched my bike building skills, you would all bow down before me. As it is, I'm just a goofus with a set of wrenches with cars. Allen is my spirit animal for Mustang restoration.....

·
Spammer Hammer
10,974 Posts
What purpose does that curved bar in front of your air cleaner perform??? What is that thing called?

🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

Looks great. You might want to connect all those plug wires though. I hear run smoother on all eight.

·
Premium Member
6,663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #977 · (Edited)
20210411_155138.jpg

Clocked as noted. A straight bar will not work with the factory air cleaner (the bars not doing a damn thing anyway).

2 questions:

1. Would it look better without the bar and just put bolts in the holes or leave the bar?

2. What battery locally to buy for the Autolite cover?

Allen

·
Registered
4,414 Posts
View attachment 790477

Clocked as noted. A straight bar will not work with the factory air cleaner (the bars not doing a damn thing anyway).

2 questions:

1. Would it look better without the bar and just put bolts in the holes or leave the bar?

2. What battery locally to buy for the Autolite cover?

Allen
Well, since you've chosen to go down this elitist path, did they have curved MC bars in 65/66?

Reactions: Nailbender
961 - 980 of 1028 Posts