Vintage Mustang Forums banner

21 - 40 of 713 Posts

·
Registered
5,259 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Brian, see picture 2 in post #17. The plan is to plug weld from the back side in the holes drilled in the cross member. I know that is a tight place to weld, but that's the plan nonetheless. :pirate:

I also noticed on the VMF the one response to my question was that the bumper and tail light panel is curved. I didn't think it was...I will ask for more responses on that.

Allen

·
Registered
5,259 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Ok. After further review, it appears that the rear end is curved. Hopefully it can be seen in the picture I posted. "Little" things like this are obviously hard to "know" when repairing a vehicle with damage. That's the beauty of this forum!

Attachments

·
Registered
5,259 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Caper did I mention its 64*, oh nevermind...>:)

Decided to work on the passenger side floor pan. Got it shaped up fairly good. I did have to bend the lip upwards on the short pan (I think they make the lip bent down on all of the short pans so you can use them on convertibles and coupe/fastbacks). I will cut the piece off up at the firewall so that it will be like the factory pan. I do have to weld some on the firewall where the pans overlap each other, so need to get that cut out next.

Attachments

·
Registered
642 Posts
right on, nothing better than a '66 GT Coupe! I could be biased… Looking forward to the progress
Not gonna argue, but a GT Fastback can't be beat!

·
Registered
5,259 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Another productive day.

Got the firewall piece fitted and welded into place. The short pan still has a good fit to it after the welding. I will drill holes for the spot welds before securing it in place. Not sure if I'll get to do any work this week so it may be next weekend before anything else moves forward...:crying:

Allen

Attachments

·
Registered
5,259 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
I have also purchased a set of heads that are date coded within what this vehicle should have and a distributor (got this from gjz30075 as well). After talking with my accountant yesterday, I have decided I had better start doing some things that don't involve spending a whole bunch of money (the tax man cometh). :frown2: So I have attached the drivers side floor pan pictures that I am working on now.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,259 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
Had questions about the quarter panel that I ask in the VMF. Got great responses and kudos to Pete (PetesPonies) for the advice. Thought I would bring the pictures to here...

Allen

Attachments

·
Registered
5,259 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
It was decided that I need to rid the car of the quarter. gikort suggested a metal shear which I must say worked great. I looked up the Harbor Freight one (I hate Harbor Freight tools but this had 4+ stars so I got it). Chicago Electric metal shear for 14ga metal, works great for cutting out the panel. grayle showed me how he had done his panel and gave me a bit of confidence to tackle it. And of course Pete, who showed me how he does panels and explained what to do (leaving the lip as shown in the above photos so that I can put the new skin over what is left and cut both the panel and the old "lip" together so the panels will match. More to come once I get a panel. >:)

Allen

·
Registered
5,259 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
1st off on this update, pay no mind to the dead soldier in the trunk. He was a good soldier, a damn good soldier...now to the update. I have everything cut, drilled of ground off that needs to be gone. The only trouble spot that I have found is towards the front on the outer wheel well. I purchased an outer wheel well thinking I may need it, but will only cut out and replace the portion that is bad.

Allen

Attachments

·
Registered
5,259 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
Moving along, I cut out the rusted part on the front of the original outer wheel well. Cut a new section out of the new wheel well. Fitted, welded, ground the welds and put a little primer on it...

Allen

Attachments

·
Registered
5,259 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
Getting some Master Series Silver from Pete this coming week. Decided while waiting for that to put the quarter panel on hold and see what the back seat area held in store. It's really clean and will require no welding (YAY!!!). :pirate::pirate: I will just clean the floor with a wire brush and apply the MS silver to it.

Allen

Attachments

21 - 40 of 713 Posts