Vintage Mustang Forums banner

41 - 60 of 713 Posts

·
Registered
5,259 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
Moving on to the trunk. Found a couple of spots on the left (driver's) side that will need a bit of attention. Sometimes I cut this out and wel in a piece, but when it's not too bad, I just weld up on rusted through spots...

Allen

Attachments

·
Registered
5,259 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
Getting the inside cleaned up before hitting with the master series silver. I want to do it all at one time...

Allen

Attachments

·
Registered
5,259 Posts
Discussion Starter #48 (Edited)
Put the quarter panel in place today and decided the only thing to do was put the cutting wheel to it. Man, this is not for the faint of heart. For those doing this the first time, (like me), pay close attention to the cutting wheel in relation to the line you are cutting. Seems elementary, but it is very easy to get the wheel "pointed" off of your line. I used tape (I would highly recommend this) to keep me "in line". I would have totally jacked this thing up without the tape.

At the bottom rear, the panel is a bit "wide" and will need some adjustment, but overall, I'm happy with how it has lined up...

Next: welding! :pirate:

Allen

Attachments

·
Registered
5,259 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
I was pleasantly shocked at, with very little filler, how good this looks (to me anyway :pirate:).

I really have to give Pete more kudos for leading me this way in doing the quarter. At times I thought it may be a mistake for ME to do it this way, but I'm really pleased. For a pompous *** (some think anyway :wink:), ole Pete ain't half bad...

Allen

Attachments

·
Registered
5,259 Posts
Discussion Starter #57
I get in work mode sometimes and just don't take as many pictures. I am working on the interior at the moment while the engine is getting rebuilt (still have the engine in the car that came with it when I bought it). Took the windshield out and sanding everything down. Going to have a paint store mix me up some 9147LH which is supposed to be the Light Blue Metallic that was originally on the interior. I did buy some aircraft stripper to remove the paint from the doors and the back seat side panels. I'm not very good at it, although I would probably considered the champion paint "smearer". I hate working with paint removers...

I am going to sand down the surface rust under the dash and will probably paint it with an etching primer just to have something on it (I know it ws bare from the factory). I also found out what had caused the little bit of rot on the passenger floor panel. The windshield was leaking, very obvious. But on a good note the cowl in this vehicle really looks good and it is original (that is a bonus on these cars!!).

Allen

Attachments

·
Registered
1,670 Posts
Did you sand the whole dash by hand?

·
Registered
1,670 Posts
No. Using a 4" Dewalt sander with 80 grit pads. Some of it has to be hand sanded. Will probably use 120 grit pads before etching primer.

Allen
In your opinion, do you think it would be asinine to use an orbital sander?

41 - 60 of 713 Posts