Vintage Mustang Forums banner

701 - 713 of 713 Posts

·
Registered
5,208 Posts
Discussion Starter #701
Can I weigh in?
No...

:grin2: Of course!! Yes, I will have questions about putting it back together as far as how to keep the nicking to a minimum. I've seen suggestions on how to reassemble. If the paint is going to look that good (and that's before clear), I'm going to want to be super careful!!

Allen

·
Premium Member
5,098 Posts
@Caper50, a colleague of ours has brought into question the discretion of my painter to only paint a panel by itself as opposed to painting everything at one time. In full disclosure, I have somewhat of a concern, more like an inquiry.

Are there any problems/issues to be worried about in painting the panels/car separately?

Allen

Allen, I opted to keep my trap shut when I saw that your painter is painting individual panels. Personally I would never subscribe to doing so BUT remember the gold colored car Forrest from Arizona did for his wife? He painted it in pieces a few panels at a time and it looked fantastic. Hopefully he is consistent in his technique and paint mixing skills if he's using his own tint system or has a supplier he truly trusts mixing his paint. Time will tell. If it wasn't fly day I'd spend a bit of time trying to find that older thread. I'm sure our esteemed colleague remembers that particular build.

·
Registered
5,208 Posts
Discussion Starter #704 (Edited)
He painted it in pieces a few panels at a time and it looked fantastic.
One beautiful car!

I'm not even questioning my painter, if I was going to be questioning him, I wouldn't be using him. He does color matching on cars all the time, so this is probably easy for him. I'm sure he is precise with his mixing. Just wanted to get your take. Seems everyone does things a little different. There's a local car show this weekend that we both are attending, I'll strike up a conversation with him about it and get his thoughts.

Also, he told me up front that he would be finishing panels and delivering them to me so they would not have a chance of something happening to them in his possession. So I knew he was doing it this way.

Safe travels!!

Allen

·
Registered
3,102 Posts
I'm not a painter, but I know with metallic paints the panels should be painted in the same orientation the will be installed, and preferably at the same time. This is to avoid differences from panel to panel in how the paint "lays", and consequently looks.

·
Registered
5,208 Posts
Discussion Starter #709
Wrapping up some detail stuff that I've had on the agenda but not gotten to.

This is the build sheet for the GT. We made the background color blue like the GT and the surround the color of the sheet itself. It turned out nice as a friend of mine's sister worked at the place we had it done and obviously took very good care of it. It is pressed between two pieces of acrylic.

It will reside behind the "Kangs" desk unless going to a show...

Allen

Attachments

·
Registered
5,208 Posts
Discussion Starter #710
Went to a local car show this weekend. Only saw one 1st Gen Mustang there (there will be one more there next year because i plan on finishing this thread out before then).

The Falcon really looked nice.

Allen

Attachments

·
Registered
5,208 Posts
Discussion Starter #711
NPD gets the love on this site and I like to buy from them as well. Not putting this on the main forum but I'm going to give them a little more love. I like to make sure I put enough in my cart to hit the free freight mark, so I had my cart full of stuff one day (several parts and decals and small items) and walked out without pulling the trigger. The next morning checking emails and I see this NPD email with the subject "Did You Forget Something?", yes, I know, quit bothering me, right?

Well, that's what I thought at first. I went back to the website later and uh-oh, the carts empty. Luckily I had copied the stuff off of the cart so I could print it. Well, that didn't work when I tried to print it (I copied in case I lost it before refreshing the page). It didn't print because I had the printer set up for dual sided printing and it went into to 3 pages (I have found my office printer only prints the last page when this happens but I digress).

So it hit me, that email, but does it have what I had in my cart? YES!! It even has a button that allows you to "Resume your order".

Saved me a bunch of looking (time) up parts (all the small parts that I needed like decals and such to try and finish this build).

So a mini shout out to @69bossnine for a little feature that the NPD website has that helped me tremendously. I know he gets the negative (and I'm still not sold on their search function :wink:) but thought I would tell a little positive on my build. That's a good feature!!

Allen

·
Registered
5,208 Posts
Discussion Starter #712
Went by the painters shop today so I could see the color on the fender. It seems just a tad lighter than I expected but is mixed to M1903A Nightmist Blue Ford code.

It really looks nice!

He took the time to show me the steps in the process and how does the process. Like showing me the 2k prime and how he will light mist is with block paint then wet sand it to find any low spots. I have heard of using a "guide coat" but could really see how it works since he took the time to show me. Kudos for the 1 hour tutorial from him.

I did let him know up front that I wasn't making a feeble attempt at trying to see what progress he had made, I just really wanted to see the color. He was extremely forthcoming in any and all the questions I had and was more than willing to not only tell me but also to show me what and how he does things. Very informative.

Allen

Attachments

·
Registered
5,208 Posts
Discussion Starter #713
Continuing down the detail path while the cars out. I have to buy bumpers next. Once I have the car back and put together, I will offer it up for scrutiny. Yeah, I know that will be a pissing contest, but I want to make it as accurate as possible.

Hopefully I can meet up with David (@myfirst66) sometime this weekend and get some 14" rims (I'll contact him tomorrow). I want to put something close to what was called white rayon tires on the rims as that's what the build sheet shows came on the car.

Fun times...

Allen

Attachments

701 - 713 of 713 Posts