Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
550 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My '66 has a factory A/C. I think it is a Tecumseh based on it being cast iron, not aluminum. Last year, it created "cool" air but not "ice cold" so I decided to get it re-charged this spring. A few weeks ago, I gave it a test and noticed smoke at the clutch so I immediately turned it off. Last week I took it to a repair shop, hoping that my problems were due to being low on 134.

They attempted to charge it, but said it was not possible. There was a chirping sound and the compressor wasn't turning freely. For my $40, he diagnosed "your compressor is shot". Walk-out price: $1300.

I got to thinking: compressor not turning could be compressor or it could be the clutch. I turned it on and saw that there were sparks. (see yellow arrows)

I pulled off the clutch. (Remove 1/2" bolt to reveal UNC5/8-11 threads. Thread in a 2" long jack bolt and use a spanner to keep the clutch from moving. The clutch slides right off.) I noticed that the brushes (circled in pic A) hardly extended out of their housing and were gummed with greasy oil. I removed the brushes, dowsed with brake cleaner, and got them freely moving again. I also thoroughly cleaned the brass (?) face that the brushes slide against (pic B). I reassembled, fired it up, and it now works extremely well. Just saved a ton of dough. If your AC isn't working, check the brushes. Make sure that they are clean and make good connection with the clutch.

Now my question:

When I had the clutch off, I noticed that the bearing was a little noisy. It would spin freely, but it should be better. In pic C, you can see my clutch. There is a spring loaded clutch inside the 6" diameter cast iron ring. How do I get the bearing out without pushing out the spring loaded clutch? Is this with properly sized arbor and bushing to only push on the bearing with a press? Anyone have a bearing part number?

Attachments

·
Registered
550 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
No one knows the AC clutch bearing call-out???

How to replace???

·
Registered
35,502 Posts
There should be an internal snap ring to retain the bearing and it should be able to be pressed out that side.

·
Registered
550 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks, Woodchuck. To clarify: pressing the bearing out from the radiator side toward the firewall side?

·
Registered
550 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Thanks! I'll press TOWARDS the snap ring.

It looks like NPD offers one for 65 - 69. Vendor unknown.

Amazon has Timken 5106WCC bearing available.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts