Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 66 mustang with the straight six in it. Last year i did a 5 lug conversion using a ford 8" rear and spindles/drums off of a 66. I put a set of these wheels on it as well.
15x7/15x8 Black Wheels Rims for Ford Mustang 66-67-68 - eBay (item 390299615877 end time Apr-20-11 12:51:13 PDT)

I had a friend of mine do the work, and he just did a tape measure alignment so i could make it to the shop safely for an actual alignment. The problem im having is it seems like the wheels in the front are way too far towards the front of the car instead of being centered in the wheel well. And the worst part is the tires will rub the fenders in reverse if im turning the wheel one way or the other. Is there an adjustment to bring the wheels further back? I am completely lost when it comes to front end suspension. Tires on the front are 215/60's.
Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
36,010 Posts
Well, it's hard to see how he could install the wheels too far forward. The 64-66 upper and lower control arms, and struts, are the same with 6 or 8 cylinder. How about a photo or two?

Meanwhile, you need to do this before you get the alignment:

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm not exactly sure what went wrong along the way either. Although now that im looking at old pictures it seems like the wheels were always positioned more forward than centered. I will take some better pictures of my current set up later today when there's some light out. But for now...

Also i had heard of the shelby drop, but i didnt know what all was involved, so thanks for the link. That really sounds like something i want to do, im just wondering if i can get away with doing it at the moment since the tires are that close to the fender.

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
If he did a tape measure alignment, he probably only set the toe, and possibly the camber. Caster is the 3rd adjustment, and not easily done with a tape measure - it's ALSO the one that WILL move the wheel forward/backward in the wheelwell.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts