Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,670 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a '66 conv with Deluxe Int. I bought an AM radio part number 6TPZ 194809 to replace the broken aftermarket in the dash. I have 2 questions.

1) on the AM there are 4 wires instead of three like the wiring diagram shows. 1 with a dual wire male/female plug with the wire colors of black and black/green that goes to the speaker. Then there is a single black wire with a male connector and a single blue/red wire with a male connector. Is the blue/red the +12 Acc fed wire and does it connect to the yellow/black wire? Is the black wire the +12 headlight feed wire? Where does it connect to?

2) I have the Deluxe Interior with the speaker grills in the door, but the radio feed to the doors is missing. I will just leave the speakers in the doors disconnected for now, but how would the AM without tape player feed these door speakers, or should it? Did all Deluxe Interiors have door speakers in '66?

Thanks

Jason
Formerly Bluestangcom
"Got gas?"
Vintage Burgundy'66 Conv. 289 & C4. GT-ized
Strawberry/Silver '91GT
Rust/Red/Turquoise '67 coupe - Parting Out
Guards Red 2000 Porsche Boxster

http://www.bluestang.com

·
Registered
5,527 Posts
The only question I can answer is the last. Not all deluxe interiors came with door speakers. I have a feeling you had to get the 8 track to use the door speaks.

Coppertone's current condition:
http://www.knology.net/~dorner/images/coppertone2.jpg

G

·
0 Posts
i've only seen door speakers with the 8-track option and your dash would have a larger hole to accomodate the larger 8-track unit. A PO probably added the door speakers. you can get the door wiring harnesses with the speaker wires in reproduction.

as for the radio, the black wire is the power and the blue/red is for the light in the radio. Look for a black or yellow 'junction' plug... one that you can plug 3 spades into and plug the black wire to it. Make sure that you get power when the key switch is turned on. There will be another plug similar to it except with a red end, plug the blue/red wire to that. the double plug goes to the speaker.

Charles Turner
MCA Gold Card Judge(64.5-65, 66)
'65 Fastback
'00 GT Conv, triple black

Check out my 65 [color:blue]fastback!</font color=blue>

·
Registered
1,670 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Charles. Upon closer inspection I discovered that the PO did cut the door speaker holes and added the appropriate grills. He did a very good job, looks factory. Since the light wiring harnesses were in bad shape I went to Dallas Mustang and bought the harnesses for Pony Door lights w/eight track, just in case I add the eight track or go to an aftermarket stereo later.

Jason
Formerly Bluestangcom
"Got gas?"
Vintage Burgundy'66 Conv. 289 & C4. GT-ized
Strawberry/Silver '91GT
Rust/Red/Turquoise '67 coupe - Parting Out
Guards Red 2000 Porsche Boxster

http://www.bluestang.com

·
Registered
2,515 Posts
Charles

I bought a restored AM 8-track w/NOS speaker grills for my '66 GT convertible that originally came with a AM radio. You said the dash hole was bigger for the 8-track? I haven't attempted to install it yet, but when I do what would I need to do to the dash to make it fit? Same goes for the speaker and grills. Is there a template to cut the door for the speakers? Is it worth it to install the 8-tack and speakers?

Rich
1966 GT convertible

1 - 5 of 5 Posts