Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently purchased an original am radio for my 66. The tuning knob does not work, so the only way to adjust it (until I tear it apart) is to push on one of the selector buttons slowly until you tune in a station... my question---How do you set the "presets" (black push buttons) to stay on a particular station. they dont push in to "lock" like most I am used to seeing? thanks in advance.

·
Registered
193 Posts
if they arent locking in, there is something wrong with your radio. not sure how to fix that problem though. maybe somebody out there knows how to fix em. good luck

·
Registered
562 Posts
Kyle is correct. The buttons have a little indentation in the bottom (under side) that allows your finger to pull it out, then you push it all the way in and your on to the next button. Good luck. (you might want to try some WD-40 on the buttons before you try this,, they may be pretty stiff). Mark

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
If the tuner knob doesn't work then by all means don't turn the knob anymore until you open it up. There's a exremely weak plastic gear in there that attaches the knob to the tuner mechanism. It strips easily and there really isn't a way to fix it.

Other possible candidates are the rubber clutch or the tuner isn't lubed well enough to move via the knob.

Get in there and lube the moving parts except for the clutch. Work it in using the preset buttons.

If the gear is stripped then use two of the presets for extreme ends of the dial so at least you can attempt to get every station. When the tuner is lubed properly you can move it by hand to reach the extremes when you have the radio open.

Good luck.

·
Registered
3,697 Posts
Nowadays we have something called FM that works real well .

1 - 8 of 8 Posts