Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finally got the car home.... Well the story on the car is that it was originally going to be a highschool auto class project but they found a fastback and went that route. The car was bought by my friends mom and she bought a few parts for it did some piddly stuff to it but it never got anywhere. Now fast forward over 20 years. She had a stent put in and just over a week later she had a massive stroke and she passed away on thanksgiving night. (She was #2 mom to me) So now the car has a new home and an owner with a plan...

We got it loaded with a couple comealongs pretty easily chained it down and made the trip here. I tied a rope to the radiator support put a few wraps around the pipe on the trailer for a brake and we lifted the nose of the trailer and the car rolled of nice and easily. A whole 5 minutes to back up and unload.

The plan is to get all the crap out from inside the car and sort through the good parts the new parts and the scrap metal. Then pull the drivetrain and get it moved out to the shop where I can get it stripped down and on a rotisserie if I find a deal on one or build one. Then start the stripping, priming and sheetmetal repair.

One quarter has filler the other has some rust and the rockers have dents. The radiator support has been mashed around from allot of bad handling in its life of storage. Will focus on getting the rad support replaced before it is on a rotisserie.

I am looking into a front suspension upgrade as there are so many i am comparing them. The short block was rebuilt many years ago and has never run. I may look into an explorer drivetrain as I also want to fuel inject it as well. Lots of other areas will be custom as factory correct doesn't do anything for me. I like to improve what I can where i can.

Anyway lots of work to do and updates will come in spurts as time and fundage permits. But I am looking forward to it as I haven't had a project car in a long time. When done it will give the better 3/4 a fun little car to drive.

Also what is the preferred way of hosting pictures here? I used to use photobucket but.... Why does the drag and drop flip the pictures upside down???????

Attachments

·
Dimples
3,500 Posts
Glad you got it back safe. (By the way, green grass on Christmas Eve, got to love Texas)

I use Flickr for image hosting. Used to use Photobucket but they lost their minds a couple of years ago.

I’m looking forward to seeing what you do with this car. Can’t wait to come see it for myself.

·
Registered
162 Posts
I'm sorry for the loss of your friend's mom... rest in peace.
Your new acquisition now has a new start w/new owner, congrats.

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Glad you got it back safe. (By the way, green grass on Christmas Eve, got to love Texas)

I use Flickr for image hosting. Used to use Photobucket but they lost their minds a couple of years ago.

I’m looking forward to seeing what you do with this car. Can’t wait to come see it for myself.

Not really grass more like weeds... It was just barely below freezing this morning. Enjoy it before summer gets here.

Will let you know when is good to come over.

·
Dimples
3,500 Posts
Not really grass more like weeds... It was just barely below freezing this morning. Enjoy it before summer gets here.

Will let you know when is good to come over.
Well, it’s grass over at my house and mid-50’s. I’ve been working on my beater Toyota in short sleeves. No joke on summer though.

Sent you a text on availability. Wednesday or sat/sun work for me.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Welcome, fellow '66! I drag and drop my pics with no issues. The 3rd party guys' stuff sometimes doesn't display well. Best of luck on your nice, albeit sad acquisition

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hey Robert, I forget. Is it a manual or auto? What do you want it to be? I may have a line on a manual pedal assembly if you need it.
It's a manual but it will be an auto when I'm done with it. Hacked up shifter hole as well. Going to have to swap out my argon bottle for a bigger one...

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Cool. I might be able to find a home for that third pedal.
Nice. All the parts and pieces will be taken out media blasted and powdercoated or painted. I was going to pick up a commercial cabinet for really cheap this weekend but I missed out on it because I had to do more work to my friends new place as the guy that did the electric service made a mess of it. I may end up getting the harbor freight one and modifying it instead now. I sold mine years ago.

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well a small update.

Blake stopped by the other day and we looked over the car a little and talked a bunch about upgrade options etc. Really enjoyed the visit.

Now this afternoon I got home and the trash hadn't been picked up yet and I had a bunch out there so I decided to add to it. I started to empty the crap and the good stuff out of the car. A nice selection of alternators from who knows where and lots of just junk. I found a box of parts that I haven't gone through but it does have a new fuel tank sending unit in it (ford box). A set of door panels in the box and a few other things.

Now I looked at the floors a little better etc and the rear pass side is ugly. I do remember some damage on the drivers side front but I cant really get into that spot with the car still in the garage. The shifter hole was hacked up but I knew that years ago.

I'm hoping I can borrow the neighbors engine hoist and get the drivetrain pulled tomorrow and if that goes well I may try to get it moved into the shop. That involves loading up daughters furniture on the trailer from the shop and it swapping places with the car...

Attachments

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
A little more inspection today after getting all the junk out of the car yesterday. I also pulled the bolts holding the engine in so it is ready to pull. Apologies for the pictures as the car is in a dark garage at the moment and if I add more light it just washes out the picture. Better pics will be the norm when it is moved to the shop where I have room and light.

Here is the engine as it sits. The carb was a rebuilt by holley from autozone 25 years ago... Never had gas in it and it wont have gas in it as long as I own it....

Now for the bad.. I moved the car to get into the drivers side and pulled up the floor pan panel that was sitting there and it was hiding some very uglyness in the floor pan. I will need to replace part of the lower firewall as well as the front floor pan. The front frame rail has dents from being used to lift the car as well. I wish Ford would have put prominent lifting points on these cars as the common sense points are no no points on these cars.

The only repair on the car is this spot where the battery tray goes. Underneath it looks like the battery ate through the steel.

So more sheet metal parts added to the list. So as the floor goes it's just the rear pass side and the front drivers side. I don't see a need for long pans *yet*.

Hopefully I will have the pictures hosted externally after this post to fix the upside down and insert them as I want as well.

·
Registered
4,444 Posts
While you're on the floors you might think of adding torque boxes, '68 they were standard on both sides. They cost about $52 for each side. Check the cowl as that is likely how water got to the floors.

Which HS still has an auto shop? I thought we took all that money for the football program:)

PS. As soon as the ground dries out some I'll also need to break out the mower to cut the grass/mostly weeds down as well and soon. Typical N. TX winters.

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Torque boxes are on the list. So far about 600 in parts on the list 800 after shipping. Some extras on the list that may get weeded out but others added. I know of 2 sort of local suppliers and was looking at their sites but they are very proud of their parts. Will see what I can pick up at the swapmeets as well as that is about to start in a few weeks since spring is almost here.

The pass side doesn't seem to have any damage at the front so that side *may* be ok. I will throughly check it out once I get the car in the shop. I cant see anything bad through the vent up top. I will run a camera up there as well. The drivers side looks worse in person since the floor support has pushed up the floor pan in that spot since there is no pan support and made worse when lifted there by a jack.

It was Boyd highschool (where she lived and worked for) 25+ years ago... Funny how after the new year everyones left over budget $ gets taken away and ends up in the football fund (aka general fund)... Spend it as soon as you can or you loose it.

No grass or weeds here but lots of leaves to bag when they dry out. (mulching makes a mess as they don't break down in my lifetime)

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Well finally another small update. Last week I took the trailer and loaded up the rest of the parts. Picked up the hood, driveshaft, rear seats and interior rear trim panels and some other odds and ends.

Today after a long pressure washing I finally got it moved into the shop after a profuse amount of language comealongs boards etc... Did it mostly myself but the better 3/4 helped. Our soil is an odd mixture of mainly sand/silt so the car wheels will sink into it it doesn't push up the surrounding soil like you usually expect it just compresses (massive amounts of gopher and mole tunnels don't help nor do narrow tires and one is a trailer tire) In summer when its dry its as hard as concrete.

So a few pics.

Outside before pressure washing and removal of 25+ years of dirt.

A couple pics in the shop on roller skates. More of that stuff still to go back in the garage.

As I was washing it I was revising my list of what panels will be replaced etc. I always prefer to repair panels but often its less hassle just to replace them. Hopefully I will get started on teardown and initial inspection tomorrow afternoon.

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Well it was a beautiful 72* day here after freezing rain and ice on the trees on Thursday. Allergy season is here already.

Pulled the fenders off and the windshield out. More inspection and more issues found. The fenders most likely aren't worth saving as new ones are so cheap.

The major issues are the poorly repaired accident damage from many decades ago. The whole front end is skewed and twisted etc. There is an ugly dent in the bottom of the rocker panel extension that has also damaged the cowl side panel. At this point I'm assuming to replace basically everything in front of the firewall. But hopefully something can be straightened and reused but I won't know until I get the engine out and start in on the sheet metal.

Both frame rails look like they are bent but looks are often deceiving... I have found numerous spot welds in several areas of the car that were extremely poorly formed at the factory. Many you can see that the tongs were crooked and the spot welds were just little spots instead of full circles... So once everything is all said and done I will be welding many of the joints to beef up the speck welds.

You can see some of the uglyness in the rad support in this picture..

The Pass side.. The inner fender is anything but straight.

Drivers side.

I will get some up close pics tomorrow of the bent up steel. If nothing is usable I'm debating weather to go with an aftermarket subframe or not. If I can save a few pieces I probably wont look in that direction too much.

I have a possible line on a parts car with a good front end and if it is and the right price I may go that route. Though I do have a nice long shopping list at Rock Auto right now... The first swapmeet is in a few weeks so if I haven't ordered by then I may see what I can get there as well. I did order a new spot weld driller so that will be here tomorrow or so, no idea where mine is and i don't have all my tool boxes here either as I'm finally getting all my tools here from 3 other places...

Sorry for the not so great pics. Not great at taking pics indoors so I need to learn a little about what camera settings to use.

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
Here is an upclose picture of the crushed rocker panel extension and cowl side panel. What I don't know about these cars is if there is a way to remove the extension without removing the whole rocker panel.

Not sure what order the factory assembled them. IE was the extension welded on then the rocker or was the extension welded to the rocker etc. If the latter it would be easier to remove.

No work on the car today just some shop maintenance and getting more junk out of the shop. Teardown of the front end will commence in a day or two.

1 - 20 of 77 Posts