Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I found a real nice SSBC front disc brake kit for sale that are bolted to 68 Cougar spindles.

So I know the 68 spindles are a little different than the 66 but should the brakes bolt up to my 66 spindles? I will not be buying the spindles, only the brake setup.

Thanks for the help!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,761 Posts
buy it all, including the spindles since they are the same as the 68 mustang spindles. you can always sell the spindles later on if you like after the swap is done.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Are the calipers 4 piston or 1 piston ?

They are 4 piston. From an SSBC kit. Guy selling does not know which kit these were but is telling me that they will fit on all V8 spindles from 65-73.

·
Registered
10,226 Posts
I could be wrong but I thought 68+ got the single piston caliper which would require a matching spindle. Either way the 68 spindle will fit your 66 FWIW I have 76 Granada spindles in mine. And @Huskinhano has I think? 70 spindles on his 66

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I could be wrong but I thought 68+ got the single piston caliper which would require a matching spindle. Either way the 68 spindle will fit your 66 FWIW I have 76 Granada spindles in mine. And @Huskinhano has I think? 70 spindles on his 66

If putting 68 spindles on the 66 is not that big of an issue, I will just make life easy and do that.

·
Registered
2,761 Posts
If putting 68 spindles on the 66 is not that big of an issue, I will just make life easy and do that.

you can certainly do that with no issues, but the kit fits all drum brakes spindles from 65/66(V8 spindles)-69(all) again with no issues. i just suggested getting the spindles as well in case your 66 spindles had any issues, you could use the 68 spindles instead, and if not you have a set of spindles you can either use for another project like say a 66 or earlier six cylinder car that you want to upgrade to five lug disc brakes for instance. or you can sell the spindles to someone with a six cylinder car that needs a spindle upgrade.

one reason why i bought a pair of 70 spindles recently, to upgrade the spindles on my 66, as well as my 64 falcon.

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
If they're SSBC 4-piston calipers then the '68 spindles are most likely drum spindles in which case use your '66 spindles and sell the '68's..
Yes indeed.

SSBC 4 piston setup will bolt on the 66 "drum Brake" spindles exactly same bolt pattern as the 68 "Drum Brake" spindles.

·
Registered
20,377 Posts
Ditto, the SSBC are the 4 piston disc brakes that were designed to bolt onto drum spindles. It's a whole lot easier to bolt this kit on a 68 with drums then to do the actual 68 disc brakes on a 68 which would require different spindles and inferior disc brakes

·
Registered
20,377 Posts
one reason why i bought a pair of 70 spindles recently, to upgrade the spindles on my 66, as well as my 64 falcon.
FYI, I was always hearing the geometry was different as far as the angle of the tie rod arm angles. Everyone who told me they were different could not give me hard information. I was discussing this with dobrostang. So I went out in my barn and dragged out my old 66 spindles that had the drums and a set of 71 spindles with drums. Luckily both had the same finned drums which made it easier for a quick measurement. What I can pass along. The 65/66 have .500" more offset horizontally. The 67 & later are angled in 3/8" more and are about 3/8" to 1/2" shorter then the 65/66 spindles. It was easier for me to measure the angle difference because I was able to place a straight edge on two points on the drums for a more accurate reading. The length, I was more eye balling it the best I could with a tape measure. Let's split it and say 7/16".

·
Registered
2,761 Posts
FYI, I was always hearing the geometry was different as far as the angle of the tie rod arm angles. Everyone who told me they were different could not give me hard information. I was discussing this with dobrostang. So I went out in my barn and dragged out my old 66 spindles that had the drums and a set of 71 spindles with drums. Luckily both had the same finned drums which made it easier for a quick measurement. What I can pass along. The 65/66 have .500" more offset horizontally. The 67 & later are angled in 3/8" more and are about 3/8" to 1/2" shorter then the 65/66 spindles. It was easier for me to measure the angle difference because I was able to place a straight edge on two points on the drums for a more accurate reading. The length, I was more eye balling it the best I could with a tape measure. Let's split it and say 7/16".
given the numbers involved, i dont think there will be much difference at all. it sounds like ford was correcting a few geometry issues with the newer spindles. the shorter arms would speed up the steering ratio slightly, and the different angle would probably mean that ford was adding a bit of ackerman to the mix.

·
Registered
8,611 Posts
The drum 71-73 spindles are not that close to 65/66 in geometry.
We always had to "bump" them. (It wasn't far..... maybe 3/8-1/2"
in idler and pitman height. End of idler and end of pitman had to go
up in the chassis. The pitman deal is a PITA. Idler not too tough)

The 71-73 disc spindle is closer to the 65/66 in geometry. Not too
bad on 67-70 either. Because of this, Doug based his big brake kit
on the 71-73 disc spindles.

ex-Global West GM
1991-1995

·
Registered
2,761 Posts
The drum 71-73 spindles are not that close to 65/66 in geometry.
We always had to "bump" them. (It wasn't far..... maybe 3/8-1/2"
in idler and pitman height. End of idler and end of pitman had to go
up in the chassis. The pitman deal is a PITA. Idler not too tough)

The 71-73 disc spindle is closer to the 65/66 in geometry. Not too
bad on 67-70 either. Because of this, Doug based his big brake kit
on the 71-73 disc spindles.

ex-Global West GM
1991-1995
thats why i grabbed the 70 spindles for my 66. i get the bigger spindles, with geometry close to, and perhaps slightly better than, my 66 spindles.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
The 4 piston brakes will fit onto your 66 spindles provided they are 8 cylinder type.

To clarify, ALL 67-73 Mustang spec spindles and 75-80 Granada spindles have the SAME steering and suspension geometry. 70-73 and Granada spindles have the larger stub axle that uses the A12/A13 bearing set.

71-73 spindles are very similar to 70 type; they are a little beefier in construction than 70 type.

·
Registered
8,611 Posts
I'd be open to seeing numbers that show the 71-73 drum spindle
steering arms are in exactly the same place as those on the
71-73 disc spindles.
I've never seen that comparison and it would eliminate the
"gospel" I've been told previously.

ex-Global West GM
1991-1995

1 - 20 of 23 Posts