Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is probably a late entry but I don't know if VMF was even around when I started this build. I bought this project car in August 2012 from a good friend for what he had paid ($450). I didn't need it but I couldn't see him letting it go for scrap. The original interior had been stripped out and sold along with the original exterior paint (Tahoe Turquoise) covered with primer. The original I6 engine and Dagenham 4 speed transmission were sitting on the floor of his garage. After I got it home, I found that there was no rust issues and the body only had a few minor dings to be repaired. I've been buying parts, installing parts, etc. as time/money would allow. If this project still qualifies as a "build", I'll post pictures/comments on the progress I made to date.
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
In late 2013 I installed the engine and trans (mostly because I needed the storage space) and started buying parts for the interior. I'd sort through the boxes and buckets to get some idea of what I might need down the road. I rebuilt the master cylinder and worked on getting all the brake lines connected & bled. In 2014 I changed the oil & filter, cranked the engine over to check oil pressure and connected the hand brake and clutch linkage. In the summer of 2014 I got the body interior cleaned and prepped for the parts I had ordered. Not really knowing where to begin, I decided to start on the dash since there weren't any seats, etc. in the way. I found the matching Tahoe Turquoise paint in spray cans online. A little expensive but everything was planned to go back to factory stock (as much as possible).
 

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
8,860 Posts
That’s a Build,....I’ll be following.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
As 2015 came around I installed roof and floor sound deadening, installed the new head liner and checked/repaired wiring harnesses. The headliner took a bit of time and effort as the windows were still installed. Then onto the package tray and door panels. As you can see, some of my photos lost the correct color.
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I've corrected the colors in the above photos to match the original. In 2016 I finished the brake work and bolted on the front fenders (they were just held on by 3 bolts) and the radiator. Then it was back into the interior for carpets and rear seat upholstery.
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Looks like you have been making incredible progress on your 66. Is that a disc brake master cylinder? Keep up the good work.
I think the MC could very well be from a disc brake setup. It was the one that came with the car along with the red front fender.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
As the weather permitted in 2017 I did the bucket seat upholstery and went back to work on the dash. The previous owner had installed an aftermarket radio but since it didn't fit the dash he drilled new holes for the controls and hogged out the face cutout to fit the new one. I couldn't find a real easy way to put in a radio (I had bought an aftermarket one also that was made to replace the OEM AM radio with an AM/FM stereo unit) so I decided to build a cover plate to hide the extra holes and oversized face cutout. I ran in the heater ducts and control panel plus a new glove box then replaced all the cluster bulbs and got that installed.
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Last year I cleaned the gas tank and got it resealed into the trunk along with the correct fill tube (the previous owner had cut it off so you had to add gas by opening the trunk). I don't have photos of the gas tank/trunk yet but will add those tomorrow. I had most of the nose panels off so they got cleaned and painted so I did a fit check to make sure I had all the j-nuts where they were supposed to be. Since the summer was nice, I went to work on the minor dings that needed to hammered out then did the finish body work and topped it off with a primer coat. During the wait times I installed the steering wheel and bolted in the seats. I've got new bumpers, re-polished front trim and body emblems ready to install after the paint job.
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,248 Posts
Nice project...you got yours in far better condition and a better price than what I paid for mine...always good to see them come back from the edge of oblivion though.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
So now I sit with the car ready for repaint. As soon a we get some decent weather here (dry), I'll drive it out of the carport to get some photos of the "ready-to-paint" look. Until then, here the photos of it's first bath (and before body work and full primer). I've had some issues with the shifter assembly not engaging the reverse lever. With help from folks here and online I found out that my reverse detent dog wasn't going high enough to move the lever all the way to the left. I added washers under the shift lever bolts and that solved the problem (apparently a stretched detent cable).
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Nice project...you got yours in far better condition and a better price than what I paid for mine...always good to see them come back from the edge of oblivion though.
Thanks, wicked. I didn't know just what I bought (though I knew the body tin was in pretty good shape) but I took a gamble on the rest. Any, yes, the price was something I couldn't pass on.
 
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Top