Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I finally got all of the A/C parts in, and connected (see previous post about incorrect timing cover). Having dinner with the father in law, and he asks " did you put oil in the compressor?" Now, I know the compressor needs oil, but I ASSumed that it shipped with oil in it, under vacuum and sealed.

Those of you who have this setup with an R-134 compressor, did you have to add oil, and, if so, how much and through which hose connection in the compressor (if it matters)?

Thanks
Paul

G

·
0 Posts
I would check with your compressor supplier and ask, he might know.

I don’t have a compressor with A-134 but I have installed several R12’s in the past and most were supplied with the correct amount of oil in the compressor. I haven't checked my manuals prior to writing this, but if memory serves me well, I remember placing the compressor in a certain orientation and removing a plug to determine if the compressor was filled to the correct level prior to placing it on the car. I also remember filling a replacement compressor that did not have the oil added.

·
Registered
91 Posts
When I bought a compressor from Classic Air for my '66 a last year, it came with a sticker on it stating that it was filled with Castrol oil. I believe it said it was compatible with R-12 and R-134.

·
Registered
680 Posts
A couple of years ago a friend of mine helped me convert my Ranger over to R-134.He knows air conditioners. He said that you need to add a bottle of oil to the unit if you were filling it for the first time. Even if it had oil in it already.....We did, and it has worked with no problems for 2 years. I guess more oil is better......

G

·
0 Posts
You add the oil to the accumulator on a R134 system.
I believe it is 2oz oil to 1lb R134. Sanden compressors that I have seen are shipped dry

·
Premium Member
11,700 Posts
There should have been documentation that came with the system indicating that the compressor is shipped pre-oiled. I know mine came with that documentation. Both from Classic and Vintage (I bought the polished compressor from Vintage and the system from Classic).

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That brings up an interesting point. I purchased this system from a classic auto dealer that was going out of business. It is complete down to the fan shroud (I found the spacers in with the Idler pulley), but all of the boxes were open, and there was no paperwork with the compressor, and the installation instruction sheets were reprints of a magazine article. I guess I will dig one more time through the paperwork I have and examine the compressor to determine it was shipped with oil inside or not before I charge the system.

·
Registered
124 Posts
The compressor I just had rebuilt by Classic Auto Air of FL came back prefilled with oil, and a warning NOT to add ANY oil to the system.

I blew the rest of the system out with compresseed air before flushing and captured the oil that came out. I put that much back in. NOTE: I was told after-the-fact I should NOT have done this. Too much oil is NOT a good thing.

Do make sure you pull a vacuum on the system for at least 1/2 hour before adding refirgerant. This will boil away any moisture in the system. I used a venturi vacuum gadget I bought new for $30 that uses the compressor to create the vacuum. I was surprised at how much moisture collected under the pump and was glad I did it.

My A/C runs fine with 134, not as cold as with R12, but at $50/lb vs. $4/lb, I can live with it.

My compressor, by the way, had a bolt, or plug, that, once removed, could be used to check oil level and to add more if necessary. Check your manual.

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
No, a vintage Auto dealer here in New Orleans who purchased it for a customer's mustang. The customer never brought the car back to have it installed (or pay).

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Checked with the manufacturer who stated that "all compressors are shipped from Classic Auto Air with a full charge of oil". WOO-HOO! I'm in business!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts