Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had been dreading the job of replacing the bushings in my clutch and brake pedal but decided to tackle it this morning. It was a 2 hour job for me and not as hard as I had anticipated. Once I got the bracket for the pedals on the bench, I found that the bracket had spread about 1/8" where the brake pedal fits so, I squeezed it back together with a large C-clamp. I assume this was caused by the lack of bushings on the brake pedal as well as a lack of a washer between the right outside bushing and retaining pin. . Other than that, the assembly was in good shape and I only replaced the plastic bushings. I did not do any painting as this is a daily driver. By the way, the bracket does not have to be removed if you are only replacing the bushings. The assembly can be turned on its side
to remove the clutch pedal once everything is loosened. So, here is a breakdown of how I did it.
1. Removed steering wheel
2. Removed instrument cluster
3. removed 2 bots retaining the parking brake handle
4. Removed 2 nuts that holds steering column to pedal bracket
5. Removed brake push rod from brake pedal
6. Removed clutch rod from clutch pedal
7. Remove the clutch pedal stop assembly ( one 1/2" nut)
8. Pull clutch pedal upwards as far as possible and remove the clutch return spring.
9. remove 2 master cylinder bolts and 2 bolts from pedal bracket above master cylinder
10. tilted pedal bracket to remove clutch pedal and brake pedal from under dash
11. removed pedal bracket at instrument clutch opening.
12. replaced bushings and re-installed in reverse order.

Slip the bracket back through the opening for the instrument cluster and then re-install the clutch and brake pedals. Makes it much easier. Hope this helps someone that is thinking about doing this.
This is a good time to replace the clutch return spring plastic saddle bushings, any retaining clips and washers, and the clutch pedal stop.

·
Registered
4,300 Posts
Just curious - why didn't you do the roller bearing bushings since you decided to take it all apart?

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Just curious - why didn't you do the roller bearing bushings since you decided to take it all apart?
Because its a 6 cylinder daily driver that I dont race. The plastic bushings work fine and are cheap. If the collars on the bracket were damaged and loose, I would have probably gone with the roller kit instead of a new bracket but mine were fine.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts