Vintage Mustang Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey men, I would like to know if this stuff will fit my 86-302 that I`m putting in my 66 stang? A guy at work has a new clutch setup he said he would sell to me cheap. Its for a 86- 302 -10 1/2 1-1/16 spline. I also have a flywheel from a 91-302 it has 157 teeth 50 oz. Now will this set up work with my 66-289 bellhousing and clutch fork? Thanks, Tony

·
Registered
2,750 Posts
Late model diaphragm clutches won't bolt up to your early flywheel (although it could be drilled to fit). The 157 tooth flywheel has the wrong imbalance for your '66 289 (yours is 28 oz-in imbalance, the 91 is 50 oz-in imbalance). The cost of the modifications to your 289 to accept these parts is greater than the cost of a new clutch and pressure plate for your car. A new set of Ram Automotive parts (10 1/2" long style) including pressure plate, clutch disc, throwout bearing and installation tool is only about $159 and it would cost that much to have your flywheel redrilled to accept the diaphragm clutch or to have the late model flywheel rebalanced to fit your 289. My advice is to pass these up and buy the parts that are a direct fit for your engine.

·
Registered
384 Posts
AFAIK, it should work. You'll need to find the adapter that fits
on the block for your clutch set up. I found mine at http://www.mustangmania.com
in Houston. Unless you're gonna run the clutch cable set up. I used my old bellhousing
on the 80 model 302 I put in my car. Others may be more helpful on this setup.
G/L, Curtis

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
I believe I responded to your question on another forum but in case you didn't see it, I'll rerun it here. The 66 Fastback has a 5.0 based engine with the newer style (86 and up) 157 tooth flywheel. This allowed me to use the 86 and up Centerforce Dual-Friction clutch (pressure plate, disk, and roller pilot bearing). With this setup, I am using the original 66 aluminum bellhousing, clutch fork, and throwout bearing. This bellhousing was originally used with the 157 and 160 tooth flywheels (the 164 tooth flywheel used a larger bellhousing). Additionally, I 'm using all 66 original clutch Z-bar linkages and springs. It all works great with the close ratio toploader. The high-torque, Ford Motor Sports mini-starter was also compatible with this combination.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts