Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have replaced the carpet in my 66 Mustang. I'm now putting the console back in. I'm having a really hard time finding the holes for the screws. But I also have noticed a gap between the console and shifter plate. Anyone know how big of a gap is nornal? I don't remember how big of a gap there was with the old carpet. I have also put in the deadner underlayment which may account for the gap. But it looks wider then the deadener thickness. But any one have any sugestions for locating the holes? I'm using a awl now. Anyone know of any tricks to make this easier?

·
Registered
712 Posts
We took four sturdy coat hangers and passed them from the underside up through the underlayment and carpet through the holes in the console.

This lined everything up. We then applied pressure to the console as one of the hangers were taken out and the screw was installed. We worked from corner to corner.

We used washers betwwen the shifter plate and the shifter bucket to raise the plate up, thus eliminating the gap. Of course this will throw off the shifter light a bit, but, no enough to cause a major issue.

·
1,214 Posts
I did the same thing and have the same problem with the gap. I used an awl to poke through the carpet to help line up the holes, but the coat hanger thing above sounds like a great idea.

As for the gap, I believe that it comes from the backing that the carpet has. It's about 3/8" thick on the back of the carpet. I left mine that way but spacing it up works too. Someday when I have to take it out again, I may see if the backing can be removed from the carpet.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Related question. What is the best way to remove the console? Anything to watch out for? I intend to remove console in the near future and go back to car's original configuration with the original chrome retainer for the Hurst shift boot.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts