Vintage Mustang Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
1966 mustang convertible sprint 200, manual steering and brakes
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Our 66 has a manual (aftermarket ?) console in it that I’m pretty sure is missing at least one part. The front storage section is cantilevered up in the air above the tunnel with no support under it. The only thing holding the entire console into the car are the 2 x 3 sheet metal screws on the tunnel. As expected, there are cracks starting to form at the base of the front section. I’ve stuffed a rag under it to provide some support for now. I don’t see any provision for it to attach to the underside of dash. Is this the part I’m missing ? Does it attach to the dash or tunnel ? Thanks.
Font Screenshot Parallel Rectangle Brand
Font Screenshot Parallel Rectangle Brand

·
Premium Member
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I’m on the road for another week but will post some pics as soon as I get home.

·
Registered
6,806 Posts
Yes that is the piece that is missing if yours is an original style console.

It bolts to the tunnel, and the console bolts to it. There are two dimples on the tunnel where the bolts go.

Reactions: kellysedars

·
Premium Member
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Finally getting back to this post with some pictures. Is this the correct console for a 66 convert ? The front lower part looks wrong and there is currently no support for the front compartment other than a rag I shoved under there. I’ll be ordering of the brackets above assuming it fits with this console.
Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Car Automotive tire Vehicle
Motor vehicle Automotive tire Hood Vehicle Automotive lighting
Automotive tire Hood Automotive design Bumper Motor vehicle

·
Registered
5,733 Posts
That is a factory style non-AC console for the 65/66 Mustangs. You'll have to remove it, put the mounting bracket in, and then reinstall the console. For me, it's a bit harder to install once the mounting bracket is in because it's a tight fit getting the bottom of the console to clear the bracket.

·
Premium Member
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks. Was hoping it was a factory piece. There are two hairline cracks forming at the base of the forward storage compartment because it’s been bouncing up and down unsupported. I’ll put some epoxy /mesh support on the inside to strengthen that area when I install the new metal brace.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts